Indian Super League

General Discussion on Indian Football.

Moderator: Moderators

karr

Re: Indian Super League

Post by karr »

Sin, I can understand your skepticism.
But as the Hindu states, http://www.thehindu.com/sport/football/ ... 492138.ece, this effort has the potential to slowly change the ground situation. Children aren't going to suddenly wake up one day and start playing football. You need a reasonable ecosystem - grounds, coaches, role models, TV coverage, skilled players that you can see live or in-person, buzz and excitement all round. It has to start somewhere and despite many a false start, there is little alternative but to keep trying. I think that's where the ISL comes in - we have never before seen even this spread of talent in an Indian League. All the marquee players are perhaps 5 to 10 years off their best years, but likely can dish better fare than what happens in the I-League. The Bollywood and Cricketing Gods add the glitz and the moolah and I am thankful for that - we need both. And if you can keep at it steadfast for several years, I am fairly confident that you will see more kids actually playing Soccer. The last 3 to 5 years of the Indian sporting scene actually gives me confidence - we have various leagues sprouting and they have been successful to boot. If Kabaddi, Badminton, MMA can do it, why can't Soccer.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

In the first match, Atlético de Kolkata dominates from the start for comfortable win against Mumbai FC.

Atlético de Kolkata bt Mumbai City FC 3-0 (1-0)
chakde697
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by chakde697 »

Its better for the football to make Indian players get used to the 2nd level players of the world. Introducing the monsters will only get the Indian players to loose confidence.

For me this is a great initiative.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Does any of the ISL teams have an Indian striker who plays in the first team?
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Suresh, almost all teams having Indian strikers and importantly some of them r playing in Starting XI.

Atlético de Kolkata - Baljit Sahni, Mohammed Rafi and Mohammed Rafique (Baljit and Rafi played in 1st match)
Chennaiyin FC - Jeje Lalpekhlua, Balwant Singh and Jayesh Rane (Jeje and Balwant can get chance)
Delhi Dynamos FC - Manandeep Singh (doubtful starter)
FC Goa - Holicharan Narzary (doubtful starter)
Kerala Blasters - C.S.Sabeeth and Milagres Gonsalves (Sabeeth played in 1st match)
Mumbai City FC - Abhishek Yadav, Sushil Kumar Singh, Singam Subash Singh, Nadong Bhutia and Lalrin Fela (Abhishek and Sushil Kumar can get chance)
NorthEast United FC - Seminlen Doungel and Durga Boro (doubtful starter)
FC Pune City - Paritosh Mehta and Joaquim Abranches (Paritosh Mehta played in 1st match)

In second match, NorthEast United FC beats Kerala Blasters FC 1-0.
In third match, Pune City FC hold Delhi Dynamos FC 0-0 in away match.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Thanks Jaydeep. I am happy to see some Indian strikers get a chance to play. Warming the benches, as they usually do, doesn't help Indian football. You don't win if you can't score.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

karr wrote:Children aren't going to suddenly wake up one day and start playing football. You need a reasonable ecosystem - grounds, coaches, role models, TV coverage, skilled players that you can see live or in-person, buzz and excitement all round. It has to start somewhere and despite many a false start, there is little alternative but to keep trying.
I have not lived in Bengal the last 20 years. But have gone back home. We used to play more football than cricket except during winter. I still see random kids playing in local neighborhoods. The standard of coaching or organized sport perhaps is not there but kids do play football a lot in Bengal.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

In fourth match, Chennaiyin FC beat FC Goa 2-1 in away match.

Suresh, in this match Balwant Singh (for Chennaiyin FC) and Holicharan Narzary (for FC Goa) were in starting XI ... And Balwant Singh become first Indian striker to score goal in this ISL.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Can someone report here on the quality of the football being witnessed in the ISL? From the highlights packages, several of the goals are genuinely spectacular -- far superior (in speed, skill and execution) to anything I have seen in domestic football. But the second Atletico de Kolkata goal yesterday was aided by an elementary defensive error, as the defender tried to head a ball (rather than fending it away with his foot, missed, and gave the striker an easy opportunity to score from the top of the D).
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The marquee players -- retired stars of the top drawer -- do seem to be putting their best into the games. From some highlights I saw of Alessandro del Piero playing for Delhi Dynamoes in the game against FC Pune, he came up with some skilled play -- including a spectacular long shot at the goal that missed by a whisker. Luis Garcia (who retired last year at 35) seems to be the key playmaker for Kolkata. Atletico de Kolkata's star striker, Fikru (who scored the first goal in each of its two wins so far) is a current member of the Ethiopia national team and has played with some distinction in the South African league. Clearly we have a superior quality of players than in the I-League, but basically a quality of play equivalent to teams and players from nations that are just below qualifying for the World Cup. This seems a sensible next step up from the I-League.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The Brazilian player, Moritz, scored a hat-trick as Mumbai City FC beat FC Pune City 5-0 in the ISL.
Moritz is 28, but I don't believe he has has played for Brazil yet. He played for lower-level EPL teams like Bolton Wanderers and Crystal Palace, and for several Turkish teams, after winning the Brazil Cup with Fluminense. He is on loan from a Korean team, Pohang Steelers, who he will join at the beginning of 2015. (Pohang is city where POSCO is based -- the company that Jairam Ramesh has prevented from starting a 12m tonne-capacity steel plant in Odisha).
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Both Bolton and Palace were 2nd division teams when he played for them.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yesterday, Indian striker Gavin Lobo scored 2 goals in second half to help Atletico de Kolkata overcome a one goal deficit and edge past hosts FC Goa 2-1. I watched the highlights and the second goal was a real quality one.

The crowds seem to be really good for most of the games.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Cavin Lobo (with a hairstyle seemingly influenced by Leander…) scored a couple of fine goals -- the second an absolute stunner -- against the team from his native Goa! If he keeps this up, he could have a professional contract from somewhere in Europe soon. Here are his goals:
http://www.starsports.com/football/leag ... hts-diwali

This is precisely what the ISL should be doing -- improving the play of the Indian players!
chakde697

Post by chakde697 »

The Indian players are now slowly started to show their presence by scoring goals and with some really fast moves and passing of balls. This is a great sign for Indian football.