Indian Super League

General Discussion on Indian Football.

Moderator: Moderators

kaustav
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Indian Super League

Post by kaustav »

Atletico de Kolkata beat Kerala Blasters 4-3 in the final on Saturday, bringing the curtains down on what proved to be a successful season three event.

Mohun Bagan goalkeeper Debjit Majumdar saved the most-important fifth penalty to help Atletico de Kolkata emerge triumphant at the Kochi and in the first year in 2014 they have defeated Kerala Blasters,too. The traditional super power of Indian football is keeping its tradition.

Congratulations to Kolkata :clap:
kaustav

Post by kaustav »

kaustav wrote:Great news...It actually destined and divined as Kolkata has always been the home of Indian football for years...How come Chennaiyan or Kerala can beat Kolkata in football? No way..They will keep on winning the ISl I believe...

Good to see Kolkata is keeping IPL and ISL both this year...Congrats :)

My prediction in 2014 coming true Kolkata have been winning it 2nd time out 3...They will keep on winning it as they always been the home for Indian footbal.. :bounce:
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Soccer hooligans! Mumbai City fans call for away stands after being 'attacked' by Pune City fans (see the twitter video etc)

Great news, isn't it? Seeing soccer hooligans anywhere other than when Kolkata clubs play each other, was a dream for me. We have hooligans, people!!! Yeah. I am pumped.

Okay, but we need to get our police ready against these things. Football violence is serious stuff. The way ISL is getting fans, they need to get their job done. Away stands at the stadiums is something that needs to be done.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Has the ISL lost its zing? Nobody following it here any longer. And the main season is largely over!
ATK (the team that used to be Atletico de Kolkata, now renamed after the partnership with Atletico Madrid ended), winners in 2 of the first 3 seasons, are having a very poor season, and have failed to make the SFs -- which will be contested among Bengaluru, Chennaiyan, Goa, and Pune.
The quality of the foreign players (recently retired players from the top global leagues) also seem to have declined.
Sunil Chhettri is the 3rd highest goal-scorer this season, behind 35 year old Coro (who played for Espanyol until 2011) and 33 year old Miku (formerly of Valencia until 2010, and on loan to Celtic in 2012-13).
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I don't think the ISL has really lost too much sheen. It is just settling into a bit more of parity, I think, after the two Kolkata and Kerala clubs created a lot more noise early on. Bengaluru, Chenni, Pune and Jamshedpur have come on strong this year and that is a good thing. As long as the Indian national team also continues to make some decent news, I think the momentum will continue.

Meanwhile, Bengaluru FC made some history today, to become the first Indian club to get transfer fee for a player - from a Chinese club. https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/footba ... 2018-02-23 ... The COO of the club is a good one. Mustafa Ghouse! Yep, our good old friend, Mustafa.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

PKBasu wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:29 amSunil Chhettri is the 3rd highest goal-scorer this season, behind 35 year old Coro (who played for Espanyol until 2011) and 33 year old Miku (formerly of Valencia until 2010, and on loan to Celtic in 2012-13).
Great to see Sunil showing that he is every bit our best scorer. Sunil, Jeje, Balwant Singh and CK Vineeth, are the Indian forwards in the top-15 of goal scoring, which looks precisely like we would expect.

I really want to see an under-25 player hit the top scoring table, but I suppose we don't have one yet. Sunil is 33, Jeje is 27, Balwant is 31 and Vineet is 29. I don't know who will carry the torch for India after Sunil, or at least keep us going, working with Jeje.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I watched a TV interview with Sunil Chhettri recently. A very personable young man, son of an Indian Army soldier and hence thoroughly all-Indian in his approach to life. His mom is from Nepal, but seems to have become thoroughly assimilated into India. She played football for the Nepal national women's team, and his dad (an EME officer) played football for the Indian army team, so he has football in his genes. His mom remembered a lot of his career achievements, including who he scored his first international goal against (Pakistan!).
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I think it is myopic to have both the I-League and ISL going on at the same time. This detracts from the quality of the I-League as many of the best Indian players are unable to play. The I-League should serve as a feeder for the ISL.
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

Yes that was a nice interview, Chhettri sitting in the middle. Sunil Chhetri is undoubtedly currently India's best striker but he is also one the best international strikers, at least on paper. Chhetri's strike rate is as par (or even better) with the bests in the world.

Sunil Chhetri’s strike rate better than Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi

Sunil Chhetri joins Cristinao Ronaldo, Lionel Messi in top goal scorers’ list

Sunil Chhetri becomes 4th highest active int'l scorer, surpasses Wayne Rooney

Sunil Chhetri set to become first ever 70+ rated Indian player in FIFA history
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Wait a minute there, Saniapower. There are some here who will vehemently oppose any suggestion that Chhetri is even a top-500 player in the world.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

PKBasu wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:59 amI think it is myopic to have both the I-League and ISL going on at the same time. This detracts from the quality of the I-League as many of the best Indian players are unable to play. The I-League should serve as a feeder for the ISL.
But that will affect the I-League quality even more. If they are officially the 2nd tier, feeding ISL.

Basically ISL and I-League need to merge at some point. Wait for some 4 or 5 clubs in the I-League to become professional enough, and see the money they can make if they get investments like in the ISL clubs. Then the bottom teams in both leagues, maybe 1 or two from ISL and quite a few from I-League should move to the second tier. The key are clubs like Mohun Bagan and East Bengal. They need to be in ISL. I guess Mohammedans, Dempo, etc, are no longer even in the I-League first tier.

We will need to wait for a few years for things to settle down, I think.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

jayakris wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:00 pm Wait a minute there, Saniapower. There are some here who will vehemently oppose any suggestion that Chhetri is even a top-500 player in the world.
Of course, he isn't and not even close.

There are 2000 professionals in the roster for teams playing in the top divisions of the big 5 leagues.

Chettri at this prime was probably at best good enough for a third division team in one of the big European leagues.

Danny Batth who plays in the second division would instantly become our best player ever if our government ever allowed him to play for India.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Sin Hombre wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:07 pm
jayakris wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:00 pm Wait a minute there, Saniapower. There are some here who will vehemently oppose any suggestion that Chhetri is even a top-500 player in the world.
There are 2000 professionals in the roster for teams playing in the top divisions of the big 5 leagues.
I actually agree. In fact, I had 2500 in my mind when I first typed the line, but felt that you might not "vehemently oppose such a suggestion" :) ... Then I edited for effect, to something that would be vehemently opposed. And oppose you did. Vehemently enough too, perhaps! :)

But had he been in a proper system, spotted early and trained properly, rather than become good on basically native talent, he might have become a much higher ranked player and might have made it into second tier of some European club, or even first tier in a league like the MLS at his peak. Every time I see him play, I feel that he could have become a top-1000 or higher-ranked player in the world.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

jayakris wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:04 am
Sin Hombre wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:07 pm
I actually agree. In fact, I had 2500 in my mind when I first typed the line, but felt that you might not "vehemently oppose such a suggestion" :) ... Then I edited for effect, to something that would be vehemently opposed. And oppose you did. Vehemently enough too, perhaps! :)

But had he been in a proper system, spotted early and trained properly rather than become good on basically native talent, he might have become a much higher ranked player and might have made it into second tier of some European club, or even first tier in a league like the MLS at his peak. Every time I see him play, I feel that he could have become a top-1000 or higher-ranked player in the world.
You got me hook, line and sinker Jay though I would have vehemently opposed 2500 as well :p

That would be more like a second division player in one of the big European leagues. I would put his peak at somewhere in the 5000-1000 range.

Agree that he had potential to be a lot better but this bizarre way, we are like Americans. Indians only care about sports where we are competitive. See how quickly badminton has taken off in terms of coverage and infrastructure though of course Gopi gets a lot of credit.

We need to at least get competitive against the likes of China and other mid-tier Asian teams to see proper money coming in to develop the system.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

True, on paper. Can't argue that he was better than some top-6000 or so at his peak. And actually he is not much below his peak; he is still sorta near his peak which may have been 3-4 years ago; he has kept a certain level of play for quite a while. But let me just say that I will not replace him as the #1 forward for India even now, with a third tier European league player in the below 4000 range. Even if that player happens to be of Indian origin and wants to play for us. Maybe I will replace Jeje with such a player, but not Chhetri.