Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: FIFA World Cup 2014, Brazil

Post by sameerph »

Close fight by the 2 African teams but France & Germany scrap thru with goals in last 10 mins to set up a blockbuster QF between them. Both appear to have vulnerable defense but I think Germany will go in as slight favorites.
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

A disappointing effort by the US against Belgium who deserved their win. The US played well offensively only in the last 15 mins and almost tied the game but were a little too ineffective on offense in the rest of the match. Tim Howard and the defense did well to keep it scoreless through regulation but the pressure was eventually too much for them to handle.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

One of the best extra time play by both teams in the World cup.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

So, all group winners progress to the QF's with 4 South American & 4 European teams. Netherlands look to be the only team going in as clear favourite in their QF against Coasta Rica. The other three Argentina-Belgium, Germany-France and Brazil-Colombia are too close to call.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I don't think they are close calls. At least not for me. I'm picking Germany, Argentina, Netherlands, and Brazil to win their respective QF matches. I reckon these are the odd makers' favorites too.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sure, Argentina , Germany & Brazil are faourites on paper. But, they have not played like ones in the last few matches and their opponents in the QF have been going great guns.

Argentina barely managed to scrap thru with a goal in last minute of 120 minutes against Switzerland. Messi is the only doing his thing but is bottled up by 2-3 defenders at times . The only other player who has done well is De Maria. Midfield just does not create many chances. On the other hand, Belgium has a lot of young talent and can seriously trouble Argentina.

Brazil has depended too heavily on Neymar and other forwards have been too weak. For Colombia, Rodrigues is a star in the making and based on their showing so far can beat Brazil too.

Germany are not depedent on one man but have non-existant defense . After a very good first game against Portugal, they have struggled to win their matches. France have been quite good in their matches.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

sameerph wrote:So, all group winners progress to the QF's with 4 South American & 4 European teams. Netherlands look to be the only team going in as clear favourite in their QF against Coasta Rica. The other three Argentina-Belgium, Germany-France and Brazil-Colombia are too close to call.
Costa Rica is in Central America which is technically a part of North America. They qualify through the CONCACAF region. Therefore, we have 4 European teams, 3 South American, and one Central (North) American team in the QFs.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Colombia has definitely been the best team on view so far. I hope they can become the first team to beat Brazil in Brazil since 1975.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Thanks for the clarification,Arjun. Costa Rica has been clearly been the biggest surprise of this world cup so far.It will be an even bigger surprise if they take one step more.

Interesting Prahant that you think of Colombia as the best team in the world cup so far.I have not been able to watch any of their matches so far. The reports are that Neymar is injured and is in danger of missing the QF. If that happens , Colombia will start as slight favorites.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

I expect Brazil to not only beat Colombia but to also win this WC. I think they are a team that plays down to their opponents, so while haven't looked good in their matches thus far they likely have a higher gear here that the others don't have.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

They don't; Brazil is a team with very little quality.

Germany would win this on a canter if they weren't managed by one of the worst choices in this competition.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Actually, Germany has been playing just as poorly with a tie with #37 Ghana and needing extra-time to beat Algeria. Germany will likely not make the finals.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

As I said, they are managed by an idiot.

Some Germans I know actually want them to be eliminated ASAP rather than the typical semis or final which would guarantee another 2/4 years of the "genius" of Low.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Atithee wrote:I don't think they are close calls. At least not for me. I'm picking Germany, Argentina, Netherlands, and Brazil to win their respective QF matches. I reckon these are the odd makers' favorites too.
Two down, two to go. I am hoping for a Brazil-Argentina final. Even though I am rooting for Brazil, I've always had a liking for Argentina. Brazil somehow chokes in the big games. I wouldn't care who wins if they play each other in the final.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Neymar is out of the World Cup after a vicious knee tackle caused him to break his vertebra. The offender didn't even receive a yellow card!!

I think Brazil will still beat Germany, and Argentina will win the World Cup (especially with Brazil missing Neymar in the final). Looking forward to a terrific Argentina-Holland SF (assuming tonight's matches go according to plan) -- which would be a repeat of the 1978 final.