FIFA World Cup 2014, Brazil

General Discussion on Indian Football.

Moderator: Moderators

ssp

Re: FIFA World Cup 2014, Brazil

Post by ssp »

Humble pie for arjun and ssp ;)
I have criticised this Brazilian team and it's coach several times. I hoped they would get to the final, but knew that players they had in the playing XI were the worst in my memory. They got found out and it was the usual culprits who were appalling. Marcelo cost Brazil the 2012 Olympic gold with his lack of defending skills, yet he has played the same way in every single match since. He wanders up field and leaves huge gaps at the back, and yesterday, the defensive midfielders couldn't cover for him or were simply by passed by the speed of the German passing. Then David Luiz became the 11 yr old that Thiago Silva had been controlling previously. Shocking display. He was running with the ball and playing in the German half and leaving Dante on his own. Fred and Hulk lost the ball every single time.Bernard looked like a lost schoolboy. Fernandinho was shockingly bad. Yet the idiot coach just stood there and did nothing at all in the 1st half.

As PKB and I mentioned earlier, this was reminiscent of 100s of displays from our hockey teams. Zero organisation, zero discipline and also really sub standard players all over the pitch. Pep Guardiola was being talked of as Brazil's coach but Scolari was chosen (same mentality as Indian hockey) because they couldn't have a 'foreigner' taking charge of the national team. His teams would have played with some control and would have passed the ball rather hoofing it aimlessly (again like Indian hockey teams). He certainly would have picked better players than 'Scolari's favourites' (like India's selections).

Deserved spanking and good riddance to the hype surrounding the Brazilians. Are they clever enough to have a good look at the decline in their standards? The 1994 team was considered boring, but it had a lot more flair and skill than this bunch.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Yes, unprecedented scoreline in a world cup Semi final by Germany against Brazil . Germany showed their depth & class while Brazil simply did not have the quality in defense ( & attack ) to stop them. I don't think presence of Neymar and Silva would have made the difference to the final result although the scoreline could have been a bit more respectable.
Prashant
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Prashant »

I think Thiago Silva would have kept the scoreline more respectable. David Luiz was a joke, and hopefully we've seen the last of the overrated Marcelo, who is also for my money the worst diver, simulator & instigator in world soccer.

But I still think the bulk of the blame has to lay at Scolari's door. Say what you will about Paulinho, but he tried hard every minute he was on the field this WC, and he should have been on throughout - it is not surprising that Brazil looked better once he came in. And Willian? What can you say when arguably Brazil's most capable forward behind Neymar was given 20 minutes and a 6 goal deficit to play with. Also, how do you not shore up your midfield against that German lineup.

Strangely, Scolari didn't say anything about resigning.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Agree with last 2 posts.
Neymar and Thiago Silva may have made a bit of difference, but Scolari's stupidity in sticking with proven fools was shocking. The only positives from this hammering is that this will be the last we see of Scolari, Marcelo, David Luiz, Hulk and Fred. Several others will be banished forever.
Brazil had much better options within the squad- Willian, Hernanes and Maxwell and others- Coutinho, Kaka, Miranda and any striker (from their 2nd division teams) but they are a pale shadow of the 2006 team (which was shockingly bad in it's own way with fat,unfit superstars who were rubbish) let alone the teams of the 60s, 70s and 80s.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Yeaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Go Argentina.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Brazil got thrashed again unsurprisingly. Bunch of hacks outside of Neymar, Thiago Silva and Oscar
ssp

Post by ssp »

Deserved spanking for Brazil. Pity they knocked much better teams in Chile and Colombia. Awful, awful display from all their players today (Willian and Oscar tried). Quality was shockingly bad. David Luiz is just a clown.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

And Silva should have been red carded but he escaped. It was a close call.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Incredible to see Brazil lose by such large margins at home against European teams -- especially considering they hadn't lost a home game in nearly 40 years before these games! They are beginning to show signs similar to Indian hockey...
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

The irony is that the one game where Brazil played high quality soccer was the 0-0 draw with Mexico, where Ochoa produced a string of fantastic saves to deny Brazil. They needed substantial help from the referee vs Croatia and Colombia, and played a fairly even game with Chile.

Willian should have played every game. Fred should never have been on the squad.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Yup it looks like they were accidental SFs.. not worth the top 4
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Omkara wrote:Yup it looks like they were accidental SFs.. not worth the top 4
Nothing accidental, got a lot of help from the refs.

Good article on the physical nature of this Brazil -
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/06/sport ... d=tw-share

I think the analogies to Indian hockey are interesting. Our problem was lacking the physicality of the Europeans, Brazil on the other hand have deliberately chosen a path to select players who can run and tackle hard but can't really play well.

What is similar is how both teams and nations like brainless players who go on one-man hero runs and consistently lose the ball as long as they can score one great goal in 10 games; see David Luiz. Tactical discipline and appreciating those players is an alien concept.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

So , Germany it is who win the world cup for the first time since 1990. In fact it is a repeat of 1-0 result of 1990 final between these 2 teams. I thought it was an entertaining final despite being goalless in normal time. Both teams had plenty of chances which they could not convert.

I wanted Argentina to win but a fair result correctly reflecting the qualiry of the teams.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yes, a very very fair result in the end. These two were clearly the best two teams in the tournament, in the quality of their football. I too wanted Argentina to win, but Germany was that much better, especially in the extra time. Argentina did not have the finishers they needed, and it showed. But still it is sad to be Argentina, to go some 425 minutes without allowing a goal and then letting one in when they needed to hang on for just a few minutes more. Congratulations, Germany.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Agreed, the two best teams on balance reached the final, and the better team won.

I was surprised to see Messi win the Golden Ball - he was not even the best player on his own team in the knockout rounds, that would be Mascherano. I'd have picked between James Rodriguez, Arjen Robben & possibly Thomas Mueller.