Re: FIFA World Cup 2014, Brazil

Post by Atithee »

Omkara wrote:drop Neymar
huh?
Prashant
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Prashant »

ssp wrote:Fred, Hulk, Paulinho (I know he didn't play today) and Marcelo have been awful. Oscar is out of form and Dani Alves can't defend and David Luiz is a liability. They are too reliant on Neymar, Luis Gustavo and Thiago Silva.
I thought Hulk had a pretty good game today, but otherwise you're absolutely right. Although the replacements everyone was clamoring for (Willian & Fernandinho) got a chance today & didn't particularly distinguish themselves.

I was cheering for Chile & will be cheering for Colombia though, so I'm not complaining :)
ssp

Post by ssp »

Brazil just gave the ball away due to pathetic skills. Fred/Jo could not hold up any passes, Neymar was being selfish all the time, Oscar was appalling and Hulk is very un-Brazilian and loses the ball almost every time. Chile were not too dangerous but kept the ball better and harried every Brazilian player who had possession and caused them to panic and won the ball easily.
Scolari needed to get rid of 3 players and simply pack his midfield and just use the pace of Neymar or Willian or Bernard. He chose to keep the same formation and brought on Jo who was about 150% better than Fred, but was still cr*p.
Scolari was lucky to win the 2002 WC because Ronaldo and Ronaldinho made telling contributions and also the other main contenders contrived to produce rubbish and Brazil's only tough match was the final which they won because of Kahn's blunder. He is being stubborn in this WC and his loyalty to the duds in the squad could cost them the title.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

ssp wrote:Neymar was being selfish all the time
that's why!
RohitG
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by RohitG »

Colombia won against Uruguay thanks to a spectacular performance by James Rodriguez. He has scored in all the 4 games he has played so far and also has 2 assists to his name. With 5 goals in total this World Cup, he's in a sublime form and will be a threat to Brazil in the quarter-finals. Luiz Gustavo will miss the next match due to the 2nd yellow card he acquired yesterday and I wonder who Scolari will pick as a replacement for him. The main problem for Brazil is Fred/Jo combination. Both have been performing below the team's average. Oscar was in great form in their first match against Croatia, so I guess he was having a bad day yesterday (which doesn't mean he'll perform bad against Colombia) A lot of people say that Chile deserved to win, and certainly, they did, but in the crucial moments, they just didn't go for it. Creating chances is one thing, but making use of them is something else. They could have wrapped the game in the 90th minute itself, they had a chance. Everyone knows that penalties is a matter of nerves and luck to an extent, Chile knew this too, and Brazil just managed to win it. The match against Colombia will be tough. It's too close to call.
Uruguay deserved to go home, Suarez should have understood the burden of his country's expectations, a guy even postponed his treatment so as to get Suarez fit in time.
63-year-old Walter Ferreira stopped cancer treatment to help Uruguay's Luiz Suarez recover in time
He should have thought of all these factors before unleashing his teeth on the Italian.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

what luck Dutch.... deserving penalty.... heatbreak for Mexico
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

They also deserved a penalty at the end of the first half that wasn't given. When will teams learn NOT to sit back & defend after getting a one goal lead? I love both Holland & Mexico, but I was really frustrated with Mexico's attitude after scoring.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Prashant wrote:They also deserved a penalty at the end of the first half that wasn't given. When will teams learn NOT to sit back & defend after getting a one goal lead? I love both Holland & Mexico, but I was really frustrated with Mexico's attitude after scoring.
I'm not sure the penalty was deserved. It was a flop by Robben, one among many which I believe is a red cardeable offense. The trip on Robben in the first half was probably more worthy of a penalty but then so was the kick on the face of the Mexican forward in the box in that half. I suspect a little like hockey, the European teams get better calls especially when playing the other confederations such as the CONCACAF which are perceived to be weaker. In the Greece-Costa Rica match, a blatant hand ball in the box was ignored right after Costa Rica went ahead and there did not seem to be any discussion of that glaring miss as it favored the European team.

Mexico were the better team but did pay for sitting back in defense in the last part of the match when Netherlands scored one goal and were gifted the second.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

The incident at the end of the first half seemed a pretty definite penalty to me - both Marquez & Moreno fouled Robben, and neither touched the ball. Marquez definitely nicked his foot.

I very much disagree about the foot near Herrera's face because he had his face about waist high ducking for the ball. That is really impossible to call in my opinion.

You have a point about Costa Rica though - that handball no-call was a pretty glaring miss. The Australian referee in that match didn't have a good game - the first yellow card on Oscar Duarte was nonsense, it wasn't even a foul. Then he got a second (this time justified) card, and suddenly its a red.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

arjun2761 wrote:Mexico were the better team but did pay for sitting back in defense in the last part of the match when Netherlands scored one goal and were gifted the second.
Mexico were the better team till 60 mins but in the last 30 mins. Netherlands attacked relentlessly , got about 7-8 corners in that period and created a few more chances too. So, they were clearly the better side during that period. Some are saying that Mexico went back into defensive mould after their goal but one can say that Netherlands were so good in attack that Mexico were forced to defend.

Netherlands next face Costa Rica in the QF who got thru in the penalty shootout against Greece. Netherlands are going to be favourites in that match & I have marked Netherlands as one the favorites for the title now.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Mexico lost the plot after scoring. They stopped playing their normal passing game and dropped back way too deep and let the Dutch attack relentlessly. The penalty was a dive and was sort of expected from Robben.
Costa Rica did the same thing after going ahead but Greece didn't have the composure to take their chances otherwise that match would have ended with the same scoreline in favour of the European team. The Australian referee was useless. Missing obvious fouls (including a penalty for a Greek handball) and pulling out yellow cards for minor offences.
I thought Howard Webb in the Brazil/Chile game was poor too.
Now hoping for a couple of upset wins for the 2 African teams. ;)
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

sameerph wrote:
arjun2761 wrote:Mexico were the better team but did pay for sitting back in defense in the last part of the match when Netherlands scored one goal and were gifted the second.
Mexico were the better team till 60 mins but in the last 30 mins. Netherlands attacked relentlessly , got about 7-8 corners in that period and created a few more chances too. So, they were clearly the better side during that period. Some are saying that Mexico went back into defensive mould after their goal but one can say that Netherlands were so good in attack that Mexico were forced to defend.
From what I saw, Mexico had most of their players sagging into deep defensive positions in the last part of the game. They were not particularly contesting the ball in the mid-field as they were doing earlier. Other than Robben, most of the Netherland players didn't have the ball skills of many of the Mexican players, so it wasn't as if the Netherlands raised their game which is fairly mechanical and technical. One possible explanation could be fitness, i.e., they were more tired than the Dutch, but it appeared more likely to be a tactical choice which is quite common in soccer when you are defending a lead and it almost worked till the 88th minute.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Mexico's football team seems a lot like India's hockey team, in conceding a brace of goals right towards the end after leading for long periods of the match...

But in general, a lot of the knock-out matches are played mainly in the last 10-15 minutes. Teams seem cautious until the end of the match, and matches are frequently goalless until that point -- and a flurry of action happens in the last 15 minutes (even if just one goal during that period decides the match).
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Mexico got lucky playing an European team in 39 degree heat and 70% humidity.