FIFA World Cup 2014, Brazil

General Discussion on Indian Football.

Moderator: Moderators

stoutekont
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

FIFA World Cup 2014, Brazil.

Post by stoutekont »

Here you can talk about the World Cups. http://www.stadiumzone.weebly.com is dedicaded to the World Cups. Which country will be the next world champions?
Atithee

Re: World Cup

Post by Atithee »

Not you, again! Please do not restart your meaningless cut and post news on the size of stadia, the team's worth, etc. Pretty please?
bhagatghavri

Post by bhagatghavri »

I hope Indian Cricket Team will be next champion again. Because team performance is very good and deserve also. Team maintain their records.
bhagatghavri

Post by bhagatghavri »

Hope Indian Cricket team will be next champion because team maintain their records and performe well.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

The guy who started this thread wanted to talk about the football World Cup. He just got the thread/forum wrong!!
RohitG

Post by RohitG »

Do we have a FIFA World Cup thread for Brazil 2014? I'm sure there will be quite a few fans out there who would want to discuss the build up and also during the world cup. Or should we follow this thread itself? (If so, then a name change should be carried out)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Re: FIFA World Cup 2014, Brazil.

Post by jayakris »

Changed the thread title. This is the FIFA world cup thread. I will remove the bhagatghavri post. Mod, Jay
Tolamu

Post by Tolamu »

Thanks to our new gravedigger aka BG who dug out this and so many other threads out of oblivion.
Thanks, Jay, for changing the title. This thread is meant for the soccer WC but it is still in the cricket forum.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Oh, I didn't notice that it's in the cricket forum.. ok, I will move it or create a new thread
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

FIFA World Cup 2014, Brazil

Post by sameerph »

It seems we did not have a thead to discuss perhaps the biggest sporting event in the world. Probably due to the fact that the site was down for a few days since the world cup began.

So far this looks like one of the most entertaining world cups with lots of goals being scored and lot of open play as compared to the earlier ones.Defending champion Spain is already out & their is a lot of talk of their Tiki Taka style being outdated. I feel that is more due to ageing players.

Garmany, Netherlands and France look to be the most impressive teams so far. Hosts Brazil and Argentina are the pre- tournament favourites. Other South American teams like Costa Rica, Chile and Colombia are also doing well.
Omkara

Re: FIFA World Cup 2014, Brazil

Post by Omkara »

Agreed ... very entertaining tournament... though I get to watch the first match only... rest of them are too late in the night

More than Spain its England's repeated failure at this level that surprises me. Maybe PKB is right when he says its EPL that's responsible. But I wonder every country has its own league. What is so wrong with England?
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

I am in Rio with my son right now. We went to Argentina-Bosnia and Spain-Chile games. Unforgettable experiences. Tomorrow we will be at Belgium-Russia.Back in US early next week when I will post a longer update.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Great that you are able to watch world cup live, Prashant. I would love to do that one day.

Yes, Sumanta only first games live for us in India . I have watched a few second games too over the weekend. Good second match today too between Germany & Ghana.

I do not know why PKB says EPL is responsible for England losing early in the world cup. But, I think another reason is somehow English lack mental toughness or killer instinct which is needed to succeed in sports (much like us Indians.) They are not too successful in any of the sports when one compares it to their overall financial standing in the world.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

They (England) are always over-rated and have a bit too much pressure on them so they fail to deliver.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Think the actual reason is a lack of talent and a culture which values individual play over team success.

England (and its media and silly fans) value "bravery" in making a last-ditch tackle or "hardness" in going in sliding in a player or "leading" by making one great shot or pass in 50 attempts more than reading the game better and not having to run like a British bulldog around and keeping the ball and playing the percentages.

That leads to valuing "lionheart" players like Terry and Gerrard over the likes of Ferdinand, Campbell and Scholes who were "weak".

The acute lack of talent together with the financial power of the league means that any half-decent teenager gets valued at 30M (see Shaw, Luke) and 100k weekly wages, and soon starts buying his own hype and stops developing (see Wilshere, Jack).