U-17 2017 World Cup in India

General Discussion on Indian Football.

Moderator: Moderators

munnabhai
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

U-17 2017 World Cup in India

Post by munnabhai »

There has been a constant chatter about the U-17 world cup being organized in India. FIFA is openly supporting it, AIFF is supporting, Maken and the Indian government is supporting it. It will definitely help out Indian football if we hosted the U-17 world cup. I figured it would be a good thread to start.

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/136/i ... eakingnews
Kushal Das, the general secretary of the All India Football Federation (AIFF), stated that should India win the hosting rights for the FIFA U-17 World Cup in 2017, it could play a crucial role in changing the fortunes of the most popular game in the country.

"The Under-17 World Cup in India could certainly be a big game changer for the country. We have to perform well. We have to atleast be competitive," said Das.Speaking at a panel discussion on 'Successful Initiatives and Way Forward is Soccer', organised by Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI), Das expressed his confidence that the tournament would be very beneficial to India.

"Some of the academies we are establishing are targeted to train players for the U-17 World Cup," he said, "If India can compete with the best in the world, it will be a huge fillip for the game in our country. It will give impetus to the youth development and the profile of the game as a whole."

"We've got necessary documents and guarentees from the goverment required under the strict FIFA guidelines," he mentioned on India's bid to host the U-17 World Cup.

FIFA General Secretary Jerome Valcke had earlier mentioned that India could host the U-17 World Cup in 2017, during his visit to India, which Das highlighted as an encouraging sign for India."We will submit a bid later this month or early next month. The FIFA Executive Committee will decide on the host in December in Japan (during the Club World Championship)." he said.

India will have eight football academies by next year and two elite academies by 2014, he stated.

"Under AIFF the grassroot level is 8-12 years age group, and we will be having all eight regional academies up by next year to cater to the 14-16 year group. We plan to have two elite academies for 16-18 year age group by 2014."
munnabhai

Re: U-17 2017 World Cup in India

Post by munnabhai »

"We will submit a bid later this month or early next month. The FIFA Executive Committee will decide on the host in December in Japan (during the Club World Championship)." Kushal Das

We will submit a bid later this month or early next month? Sigh...that just shows the mindset these people have. Can you imagine how chill their job must be to actually not set up a deadline for submitting reports and bids? Later this month or early next month, that could be anywhere from 24th October to 8th of November.

It isn't that we don't have talent for football in India, it is the lack of goal setting/achieving mentality starting all the way from the top to the bottom of the administration. The same lackadaisical mentality will take root in the players as well. It is the working culture that needs to be changed.
munnabhai

Post by munnabhai »

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/307 ... 017-u.html

Latest development on the U-17 world cup tournament related to India.
RohitG

Post by RohitG »

...and YES! Our bid is successful! India to host u-17 World Cup in 2017
8 cities have been short-listed and India will be represented as the hosts. This will be for the first time that India will participate in a FIFA World Cup (of any kind) since 1950. I know we're way behind as far as football is concerned but this event, if we manage to successfully host it, will have positive effects on the whole system. Players will get experience, exposure and might be seen by foreign scouts. Besides, AIFF and the Govt.s (central and state) will have to develop the stadiums and other facilities including training grounds and extra stuff which is considered normal by FIFA standards but something which our I-League clubs currently don't have at all.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Damn, that is just 4 years away. Too little time to have 3 or 4 world class stadiums, when we have NONE right now. What the heck is FIFA thinking really? But then again, only RSA, Uzbekistan and Azerbaijan had bids in, it seems.
il_fenomeno
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by il_fenomeno »

Sadly there are no plans to build new stadiums. The plan is to renovate the existing Venues. At least we will get six official FIFA stadiums.
Eight cities have been shortlisted for the event so far. These include Delhi, Bangalore, Pune, Kolkata, Goa, Mumbai, Kochi and Guwahati. Six out of the these will eventually get to host the matches.

For the moment the government has allocated Rs 95 crore for refurbishment of stadiums and an additional Rs 25 crore for logistics and security. AIFF general secretary Kushal Das told NDTV, "Fortunately for the Under-17 World Cup we do not need to build new venues but perk up the existing facilities which will comply with FIFA's standards. We need to make the dressing rooms and few other facilities better."
Source: NDTV

Here an interesting quote about the "talent" we have.
Stevie Grieve knows a thing or two about coaching youngsters. At only 26, the former Dundee United Academy coach has worked with junior footballers in Switzerland and USA and is the head of coach education at Bhaichung Bhutia Soccer Schools in Delhi. He believes that an eight-year-old Indian footballer is at least two years behind his counterpart in Europe and South America and that the gap widens to 3 years by the time he reaches 13.

“They can manipulate the ball really well, have a good range of passing, are very good at moving with the ball and playing 1v1, and most can finish to a degree. Some Indian kids can only do one of these skills, and are praised for their ‘talent’ rather than praised for their effort to get good at other parts of the game, affecting the mindset of players. The fitness levels are also not great post-14 years. The diet of the players doesn’t help, nor the climate,” he reckons
Further problems: Missing System & bad tactical understanding (reminds me of Hockey :devil: ).
More importantly, Grieve believes there is no system in place for long-term player development and hopes the 2017 U-17 WC would benefit the national team in the long run. “The U-17 World Cup should be a catalyst for change and a coaching revolution. There should be an emphasis on building facilities and maintaining them, so we can reach the senior World Cup in 2026/2030. We have some talented players, but there is a real lack of tactical nous from the coaching that I have seen in India.”
Full article: Source: Breaking Barriers, Really?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

il_fenomeno wrote:Here an interesting quote about the "talent" we have.
Stevie Grieve knows a thing or two about coaching youngsters. At only 26, the former Dundee United Academy coach has worked with junior footballers in Switzerland and USA and is the head of coach education at Bhaichung Bhutia Soccer Schools in Delhi. He believes that an eight-year-old Indian footballer is at least two years behind his counterpart in Europe and South America and that the gap widens to 3 years by the time he reaches 13 .... “They can manipulate the ball really well, have a good range of passing, are very good at moving with the ball and playing 1v1, and most can finish to a degree. Some Indian kids can only do one of these skills, and are praised for their ‘talent’ rather than praised for their effort to get good at other parts of the game, affecting the mindset of players. The fitness levels are also not great post-14 years. The diet of the players doesn’t help, nor the climate,” he reckons
Full article: Source: Breaking Barriers, Really?
Terrific observations. Precisely what I have been harping about for a long time, every time somebody says that India has talented youngsters and that it is all a matter of scouting. No. They may look talented but are already not going to get anywhere, as they are behind in total football abilities. They just do not play HOURS. That is why they never get to develop anything else, especially situational instincts to play football. With such a huge population, of course some out-of-this-world skills would be there with some guys, but if they haven't played the requisite hours by age 16, it is over. No use. You never get a chance to get good after that. So we virtually have even a national team of players who haven't played half the football hours that even 18 year old high-school or college-team players have played in other parts of the world (and it is clear the way our national team guys play the game, even if they show some skills). Much of the instincts develop during age 7 through 14 or 16. Indian kids play way too little at that age. They all play football, but that doesn't add up to hours.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Perhaps this video is related. I fully believe in its message. After a point where there is some basic material, it is the hours that matter. Grit
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

jayakris wrote:Terrific observations. Precisely what I have been harping about for a long time, every time somebody says that India has talented youngsters and that it is all a matter of scouting ...
I knew you'd agree Jay. You are the first person I thought of when I read these comments.
mann

Post by mann »

Great News, Is India qualifying or not ?????
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^ India will automatically qualify. But we need at least some stadiums built, for us to not look terrible by 2017. We hardly have even one football stadium of even near-world class quality. It is beyond pathetic.

As for how good a junior team we will have, I have no idea. It would be a miracle for us to have a team that avoids finishing as dead last in the standings, if I were to guess now (but I hope I am wrong). Talent level in football is poor beyond imagination in India, with most kids spending their precious years and hours playing that idiot game. You know which one. And more importantly, they take ground space and football playing time from kids who might otherwise have played football too. I just hope and pray that we won't humiliate ourselves at home in such a high-profile event.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

jayakris wrote:^^ India will automatically qualify. But we need at least some stadiums built, for us to not look terrible by 2017. We hardly have even one football stadium of even near-world class quality. It is beyond pathetic.
I hope we get some stadium built or revamped for the Indian Super League which is planned for the later part of the year. Else, I do not see how even such a league with few international stars as promised can be played at current stadiums in India.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^ They will find a way to play even the Super Leage at Cooperage or whatever crap ground, which is all even cities like Bombay have (right?). I assume they still use that stadium for big shots' and politicians' wedding parties, digging up the pitch to put up bamboo poles for temporary shamiana like they used to even a few years back. Shameful crap that must be still going on. Argh. Jay
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

jayakris wrote:^^ They will find a way to play even the Super Leage at Cooperage or whatever crap ground, which is all even cities like Bombay have (right?).
Yes, I think that is the best one right now in Mumbai for soccer ( unless some have come up in suburbs) and it is awful. God help if they are going to play that league there in it's present state. I assume they will go for some facelift or something there.
il_fenomeno

Post by il_fenomeno »

Guys, is anyone following the great development of our U15 boys (who will play in the WC 2017)?
Since german Nicolai Adam have became the coach there are many positive signs that the future could be bright.

In the last weeks they were in Germany for an exposure trip. They played many matches against german youth teams from 1. and 2. Bundesliga Liga Clubs. They have played 14 games, won 8, lost four while two ended in draws.

Furthermore in last days this team had three AFC U16 Qualifying games in Iran. Today they beat Lebanon 6-0. :D :D
Beating west asian teams with ease...wow. :dance:

India 5-0 Bahrain
India 0-3 Iran (#don't trust the scoreline, see the comment of Nicolai Adam)
India 6-0 Lebanon
"Congratulating Iran on the victory, Head Coach Nicolai Adam added with a smile, “We look forward to having rematch against Iran in the AFC U-16 Finals next year in India.”

“With due respect to Iran, we played much stronger Teams during the exposure teams in Germany and even won. But to win a game like this you need to play without making mistakes, which we were not able to,” he maintained.

“It was in the last 20 minutes that we played Football. The second goal at the stroke of interval killed us,” he stated. “The boys are young and we have time to prepare them for the bigger challenges that stay ahead.”

“We could not reproduce our good performance which we put up against Bahrain. In my opinion, we lost because we were weak, and not because Iran were strong,” he commented.

“It was not a good match for both sides as there were plenty of long balls played by both sides while Players from this age should play more on the pitch,” he felt."
I just can recommend the official Indian Football Team Facebook, where you can get all the detailed informations. A few days ago it was just a Fanpage, but after the great work of these guys in the last years the AIFF announced that they are now the official facebook page of the Indian national team.