Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: U-17 2017 World Cup in India

Post by jayakris »

"Urban backwater" for sure, PKB. Sad that Kolkata isn't better-connected. You would think that CCU would be India's hub to Asia, but Korean Air flies to Mumbai and Asiana flies to Delhi. Same with Japan Airlines and Air Nippon. Also Jet and AI. I think the small place Kunming in western china is all that is connected to CCU. Cathay from Hong Kong too, it seems. Otherwise it is Singapore/Bangkok/KL. I think American or Alaska air should look at a direct flight from Seattle to CCU which is quite possible (around the same or shorter than Chicago-Delhi, I think).

Anyway, an interesting article on the footall grassroots in Bengal that I just saw - More Muslims and less Hindus in Bengal Football - Love for the game or choice of poverty?
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

In paper, there should be, but, the "hinterland" of Kolkata is not that rich even in comparison to the rest of India. For example, if you consider W. Bengal's per capita income, that is the same as that of Bangladesh. So, even though we are in this better system (better functioning democracy) and connected to a larger market (India v. Bangladesh) we did not do much. In fact, traditionally, I think West Bengal was more industrialized than East. Anyway, the hinterland is North East, which has fewer people with money, maybe part of Odisha and perhaps Bihar and part of UP (if at all). In this area, there are not much people with the money to fly. So there is no demand. If there is no demand, people will not run flights. That is why all the European airlines shut shop.
Last edited by prasen9 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

PKBasu wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:30 am You forget that Kolkata (CCU) is an urban backwater. Forget about direct flights from Taipei or to Seoul from CCU. Poor Jay will spend the whole weekend flying from Taiwan to Singapore or Bangkok for a connection to Calcutta, and a similar stop-over on the journey back.
I know that. I know that even if there was a direct flight it would be hard for Jay. I said it half-jokingly. I did try to scope out a visit to my parents when I went to Korea this year. But, that was too difficult to manage in a weekend (and I would spend very less time there). The best I was getting was Seoul-Shanghai-Kunmin-CCU. Flying through Singapore, Hong Kong, or Bangkok was significantly more expensive. Flying through Delhi, it would take much longer. So, I gave up.

All I hope now is that the "stable flights" from Singapore, Hong Kong, or Bangkok are not stopped like the European airlines did.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I had posted in the National Team thread (see this) the links to the stories on two players we have in the u17 team that we found from abroad - central defender Namit Deshpande from the USA and tall goalkeeper Sunny Dhaliwal from Canada.

But apparently one over-age player was kept out of our team in he last minute - Overage player not part of final U-17 World Cup squad, says AIFF ... It doesn't seem to be completely clear that he is indeed overage, though .... This was based on FIFA-required MRIs for age of the players and one player. They have not announced the name of the player, it seems.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

These kids are lucky (while being the best in India due to their skill). They will play in a WC that perhaps other Indian players in a generation will not. Coaching and strategic changes in the team
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

So it all starts in about 24 hours time, on Friday. India vs USA in world cup football (u17) at 8 pm on Friday in India. How about that? Are you all pumped! I am.

You can watch it live on FS2/Universo on Friday at 10:30 am EST in the U.S., as per the USMNT web site.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, quite exciting it is and at least print media here in India is giving it a lot of exposure.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

sameerph wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:07 pmYes, quite exciting it is and at least print media here in India is giving it a lot of exposure.
Yeah, it is amazing to see how many articles are written in the Indian print/TV/online outlets about the world cup. Averaging about 20-30 different articles for the last so many days. I counted something line 60 odd articles posted in the last 24 hours, on a google news search. Only about 2 articles that I can find written abroad about it, but the Indian press/media has been doing a great job. No wonder that a lot of matches have been sold out and only Delhi lags a bit behind. I can tell you one thing -- FIFA will not see a u17 world cup with this kind of enthusiasm ever again, anywhere. The FIFA guys mist be absolutely stunned.

Here is an interesting Indian Express article about the father of the only Kerala boy in the team, KP Rahul. The dad's passion is dogs, not football. Funny! I particularly liked he picture of all the trophies kept around a typical Kerala style Krishna statue. I mean, where else in the world would the dad of a u17 player get an interview story in the national press?
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

In today's Times of India 2 out 3 sports pages are only for under 17 world cup.

One page only for introduction of our players.

Btw, do our team has any chance of pulling off a match win here or at least draw with someone?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

The now-famous "Manjjappada" (literally "Yellow Brigade") is fully in action at Kochi. Street dances, flash mobs and the whole enchilada. Check out this article - Kochi geared up. The Manjappada are the crazy fan club guys of Kerala Blasters who get the largest crowds in ISL, regularly filling the 55K stadium and giving the team a world top-10 type attendance average.

I wish Argentina had made the field and had gone to Kerala instead of Brazil. Kerala probably has the craziest ARG fans outside of ARG. But the Malayalees' second favorite team is Brazil, so they did get them in Kochi. And the yellow color of the Brigade works for Brazil, and they will probably get surprised seeing all the yellow around. [By the way, yellow is also the favorite color of the Eezhava community in Kerala which is huge in population and football-craziness].
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

sameerph wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:10 pmBtw, do our team has any chance of pulling off a match win here or at least draw with someone?
Probably good enough to draw somebody, but maybe not in our pool, which is very hard. Not sure of the talent and long-term experience of the Indian team, as most of them were identified only about 3 years ago, and had not had organized training and league play since age 10 like most top nations' kids have. But we did send our team on a truckload of matches to play around the world (some 50 matches or something), so they won't be too intimidated, hopefully. I just want to see us not allowing 2 goals in the first 5 minutes and getting totally demoralized and taken out. If we can hang in there for some 20-30 minutes against the US without allowing a goal and then get a break or something, things could go well from there. From all I read, we only have a 5 or 10% chance to advance from the pool. Three and out, probably.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

How about putting in 10 defenders? :-)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

prasen9 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:00 pmHow about putting in 10 defenders? :-)
Haha. It looks like that is what the coach is thinking anyway - 'USA a really tough test' (Deccan Herald)

Quoting - Matos said he was satisfied with the way the team’s defence has developed but felt they needed to work on their scoring ability. “I am very happy with our defence which is not just the backline but the whole team. But we need to be able to score. We create a lot of chances but the European players are more incisive. It’s about the lack of experience at the grassroots. When you start a process in Portugal, or the US, you have competitions from the age of seven. We have learnt the defensive process. We will see now if that is enough,” he said.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I sometimes wonder what would happen if we put in 10 defenders and have 3 layers of defence with strict instructions to players never to cross the center line or maybe even the 1/3rd line from one's own goal. Basically, reduce the space down. Have the discipline never to cross the mid-field line :-) It's possibly worth a try. Maybe someone already has done it since there is nothing new under the sun.