Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: U-17 2017 World Cup in India

Post by jayakris »

Tolamu wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:46 pmThe boys in the area you mentioned are already committed to gulley cricket. Like it or not you have to depend on the North - East. May be you meant well, but it sounds racial. Sorry if I'm wrong. It might be noted that my state alone produced 8 / 21 of the team.(despite they are out of the international standard, but the best in this cricket crazy nation.)
What is racial in it? It is just that there will be more variety in playing style, attitude, size, etc - which is always good in a team. There may be genetic differences too, but I don't have any idea which gene pool in India is best-suited for football. I don't think we have that kind of genetic disparity in India. Anyway, if when I look at that team, I can hardly tell who is from which area, except maybe a couple of kids. They are all of the same race :) ... I would have said the same if, say, Kerala and Tamil Nadu were producing 12 of the 21 kids and if I felt that a reason for that could be less scouting in other areas like the North-East (which we used to actually say even 10-15 years ago, even in this forum; the situation has kinda flipped). On the other hand, I had also said once before that we do need to scout limited areas rather than look all over. That is why I said Kerala, Punjab, and Bengal, to add to the North-East, because at least some football spirit is alive in these places and there is a chance for more kids to take up football there if we start doing something about it.

But you may be right that it is too late at some of these other areas areas, where the kids just cannot be pulled out from playing street cricket anymore. That would be sad, but may be the reality. Then all we can do is to rely on the North-East for our player supply.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

SaniaFan wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:35 pmAnd he throws way beyond the centre line !!!
Also he has good sense for the game. When to stay back when to come out.
Exactly. There were two or three times when his instincts and perfect timing on coming out just completely took out any chance for Columbia. Amazing kid. That throw followed by a somersault was great. His kicks have length too. Does not seem to show anger at team-mate mistakes; rather he is in control, and directs the defenders very well. The U.S. coach spoke very highly of him, but I wondered if his last game deserved that much praise. They were some makeable saves in that game. But he was even better this match. There there were at least 2 goals that just wouldn't be saved by most goalies, and at least 2 more chances thwarted early due to his presence of mind too.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

So we had our first-ever Football World Cup goal by an Indian, but sadly surrendered a goal within the next minute to go down 1-2. A pity we couldn't draw, since this was our best chance. Ghana lost 0-1 to the US, so we will hopefully put up another spirited performance against Ghana in our last match.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

The sadder thing is that we played very well to create 3 separate open chances to score (better open chances than any that Colombia created, possibly) and we hit at the goalie twice and hit the bar once. Like our coach said, the bar has been unkind. We should have had the last game at 1-2 and this game at at least a 2-2 draw. Oh well. I am glad that the Indian press and everybody seem to have noticed that we are playing quite well, though. Nobody really badmouthing the team. I saw the coach make a confident statement like "our advantage is that we are organized in what we do" (something I never hear any Indian team's coach say) to explain that we can hang with anybody. I have to agree. I have been stunned a few times and how well we do certain things and how we just seemed to always look like we knew what we were doing. We've certainly not embarrassed ourselves in any way. I am much more hopeful of Indian football taking some steps going further than I have ever been, after seeing these kids play. Hats off to them, and the two coaches who brought them so far.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I guess everyone is depressed. 0-4 to Ghana. Commentary
Last edited by prasen9 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I have been traveling, and could not watch the match. I suppose I didn't miss much. Oh well. Jay
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

From the commentary, it seems that India played a lively attacking game in the first half, but the pace was too much to sustain -- especially because the Ghana team plays at a furious pace themselves.
In the second half, Ghana completely dominated. The final result was demoralising for sure.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Both the USA and Ghana have made the QFs with easy wins in the R-16, so we were indeed in a relatively tougher group. Colombia also made the R-16 but were easily beaten by Germany.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

arjun2761 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:31 pmBoth the USA and Ghana have made the QFs with easy wins in the R-16, so we were indeed in a relatively tougher group. Colombia also made the R-16 but were easily beaten by Germany.
We should have beaten Columbia and made the final-16. We were pretty even with them in the whole match and missed two sitters. But then we would have been killed 4-0 by Germany. But basically I think we had the quality of a top-20 team in this 24-team event, and we looked like we were good enough to be at least playing in the event.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Brazil is in the semis, not the final. I think the semis are later this week. Brazil - England and Spain - Mali.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Oops sorry! Yes, the article does say semis. I was thinking semis and typed wrong. Thanks for catching it. Maybe a Freudian slip where I was thinking of a Brazil-Spain final at the Salt Lake Stadium as pined for at the end of the article. Apologies.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Unfortunately for you, England thrashed Brazil in the semi. This kid Brewster has consecutive hat trucks in the QF and SF.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I am not that much of a Brazil fan. I don't really care who wins. If anything, one of my descendants has an English ancestor :-) I was saying that the writer pined for a Brazil-Spain final. And, Kolkata must be heart-broken, including some of my friends.