General Discussion on Indian Football.

Moderator: Moderators

usaindian
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Indian National Team news ...

Post by usaindian »

more news on sunil
http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_su ... ch_1360697
“Sunil trained with us for about 10 days in Phoenix and I have to say that we are really impressed with him. He had this immediate impact on all of us the moment he entered the field,” said Wizards’ assistant coach Kerry Zavagnin, who was present during Chetri’s trials.

“We’ve reshaped our roster. We wanted to adopt dynamic, attacking style of play. Sunil has few qualities that other strikers don’t. We hope he gets along with others in the squad,” Zavagnin told DNA.

Zavagnin was not ready to give out details of the negotiations. But the former US international was happy with Chetri’s performance during the trials.

“Technically, he is very sound. He is quick with and without the ball. He has this natural tendency to play under two forwards so that he can supply the final pass. At the same time, he gets into scoring positions himself. That’s an added advantage,” Zavagnin, who holds the record of maximum appearances for the Wizards, said.

While at the training, Zavagnin said Chetri struck an instant rapport with US international striker Josh Wolves and the duo spent a lot of time together. “That at least showed he wouldn’t take much time settling here…” he laughed.

But with a squad that already has five strikers, how Chetri manages to break into the playing XI has to be seen. “As we’re still finalising our roster it will be difficult to predict right now. But how he fits in the squad remains to be seen,” Zavagnin said. “We hope everything gets finalised and he joins us soon.”
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-Feed ... 22588.aspxIf KC really signs Chhetri and the day he gets on the field, I will be very very excited. I desperately hope this happens.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Looks like Sunil is landing in Kansas City today .. Still no official word from KC but his father and agent have said he is on the plane, as per goal.com from India.. I assume there is still some last item remaining in the contract negotiations before he signs and they announce it!

KC blog says they will have to get rid of one foreign player to make room for Sunil - http://www.downthebyline.com/2010/03/chhetri-in-kc.html ... It looks more and more like this is happening!

Firt Indian payer to be signed to any top US professional league, I think (MLS is the 5th league here after NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL). An achievement by Chhettri if it all happens!

Jay
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Sunil Chhetri thread 3 ...

Post by Sandeep »

Yes and he will be the third Indian to play in a foreign football league. Superb achievement.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

And the MLS is a very good quality league --- at least top-30 quality. I would place it higher, but, maybe I am biased. So this would be phenomenal.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Top-30? .. No way there are 29 other leagues better than MLS. NO, you are not biased. I see enough of football on cable. MLS is at least in the top-15 leagues out there, if not top-10 after a few in Europe and a couple in S.America.

Jay
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

It is basically official - in principle, Chhettri has signed woth KC wizards, and he is waiting for his some paperwork..

Chettri signs with Kansas Wizards soccer team

Funny to see TOI writing "soccer" ... Nice article about other Indians in US sports. Did not know that two Indian origin guys have been in NFL. Wow.

Here is a nice video of Sunil at their practice, playing around .. Chhetri, Kamara and Kostrov playing after practice .. Shows some nice skills there! Check out the little trics at 0.35 and 0.58 ...

Pictures - Sunil Chhetri at practice

Jay
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Now, I hope he gets to actually play.
il_fenomeno

Post by il_fenomeno »

Some new videos are online:

Interview with Chhetri:
http://www.backpost.net/2010/03/sunil-c ... 62010.html

Official press conference introducing Chhetri:
http://www.hillcrestroadblog.com/2010/0 ... esser.html
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

:Offtopic:
Nice article about other Indians in US sports. Did not know that two Indian origin guys have been in NFL. Wow.
Manny Malhotra is a current NHL player and apparently there has been one other. He is also married to the sister of NBA great Steve Nash. Most of these Indian origin players in US professional sports seem have non-Indian moms though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manny_Malhotra
Saniapower

Sunil Chhetri thread 4 ...

Post by Saniapower »

Chhetri scored hat-trick in Kansas City's 5-0 win over the University of Evansville in a friendly match at St Louis. C, who scored a goal on his debut for the Wizards in a practice game against University of Tulsa on Thursday, struck thrice in his 2nd match.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Zoltan out 5-8 months with torn ACL
I am sure Sunil Chhetri did not want this to happen, but a striker spot has opened and KC wizards do not have to waive anybody to stay under the internationals limit, because of the ACL injury today to Zoltan Hercegfalvi.. It will still be a while before Sunil will be ready to play though, according to the blog sources... Also, the transfer certificate is not there yet, though apparently FIFA has approved it as per the blogs.

Jay
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Sunil will start today against Colorado Rapids! .. It's official: Chhetri on the roster, will start Tuesday (Kansas City Star)

All the best ..

I think we should move all the Chhetri posts to a separate thread for him ..

Jay
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I never thought I would support a team from MO! But, whatever it takes. Match starts at 7:30pm (don't know which time, perhaps local). KC seems to be the top team in its division (in the few matches played) in the U.S. Open Cup.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Sunil played first-half against Colorado Rapids for Kansas City Wizards ... Kansas City Wizards lost 1-2.

Here is match commentary, as per on-looker Sunil's performance was 6 on scale of 10.

Live Commentary

PS. Created this separate thread for Sunil Chhetri as Jay mentioned. :D