Indian Junior football

General Discussion on Indian Football.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: India youth football

Post by PKBasu »

Wow! GREAT stuff from the under-16 boys. Now get these kids to turn pro and play in Europe for a few years. THEN we'll be ready to start dreaming about India getting into the World Cup. (I know, I know, I'm getting ahead of myself -- but beating Saudi Arabia 3-0 at any age cohort is impressive, as they regularly qualify for the World Cup, and Iraq are Asian champions).
usaindian

Post by usaindian »

india beats bhutan 4-0 in its final match
nnipp1

Post by nnipp1 »

Bad news, the U19 squad blew a 2-0 lead to lose 3-2 to U19 Lebanon....The Lebanese are starting to become a thorn in our side....That was a tough match to lose so we must beat Bahrain and Oman to keep chances of qualification alive...we should beat Pakistan (we better) but the last match against Iran will be very tough...I'm worried because Oman and Bahrain will probably be even better than Lebanon.
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

Hahaha Iran obliterated the Pakistanis 14-0! :D  What did they send their U-12 team?  I just hope we dont share a similar fate haha.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

If its a U-19, Pakistan would normally be fielding 22 year olds :D
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

India lost 1-0 to Bahrain with a goal being scored on a penalty in the 93 minute (injury time)....what a horrible way to lose a match...looks like they have a decent team but dont seem to be getting any luck.  They lost to Lebanon 3-2 on a late goal as well...next up is Pakistan....hope we can feel good against them at least.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Really tough luck for our u-19 team losing closly fought 2 matches.

Meanwhile AIFF President Priya Ranjan Dasmunshi announced a cash award of Rs 20,000 for each member of the u-16 team, who qualify for the AFC Under-16 football championship ... :roll: Iraq won our group on better goal diffference.
murlikt

Post by murlikt »

Very unlucky for India u-19 team. But whatever happens now they can be proud because they are fighting all the way with solid teams in a foreign country. Colin Toal really is doing a great job. Islam Akhmedov brought some good results for our youth teams in the past but like Mr. Houghton, maybe Colin also has more experience and respect. We all agree India must bring heavy defeat on Pakistan >:)

Now for some good news!! An article on our India U-16 success:
http://www.indianexpress.com/sunday/story/237792.html

Good to see major news following the team.

Also news on how our boys success at junior level but fail at senior because of lack of size:
http://www.indianexpress.com/sunday/story/237793.html

What makes me proud is that with India having success in football at least others in Asia will take notice. I hate when people say India are not good sportsmen, we have a long history in sports and combat but these top sportsmen are from underprivelaged families and have to look after security first. And the funding for sports in India is very low. When India starts beating teams like Saudi Arabia more often you will see people take notice. If our u-16 boys are good enough to beat academy sides from top German league clubs, these boys have talent to play in those leagues!

I think with this progress we will not go back to the days of losing to Fiji and Pakistan, both ranked below us. Can I also say that we make use of the best talent available please...Indian born and PIO..not only for results on the field but off the field.

God bless India, our u-16 boys are doing the country proud
nnipp1

Post by nnipp1 »

Height/size will always be our achilles heel and it has reduced Indian sports to horrible standards in the past 30 yrs....there is really no simple solution, its a countrywide problem and Indians can't magically do anything about...countries with less skill and sports $ can defeat us in any contact sport (football, basketball, handball etc.) by simply being physically dominant...Notice how a tiny country like Lebanon has little to no chance of beating us in a non-contact sport like Volleyball, however they cna thrash us in football/basketball....Problem starts with the Indian diet over the last century which is among the worst in the world...I haven't seen any studies but i'm guessing the average Indian protein intake is 1/3 of the average European,American,Latin,African, Middle Easterner,Chinese, Japanese etc. In addition, I am sure the average Hindu in India intakes even less (and they make up most of our 1 billion population and influence the diets of non-hindus)...Beef is not regularly eaten in India while it is as popular as chicken in every other country in the world. Indians mostly eat stewed lentils and vegetables with rice and fried carbs and you are not going to produce big, strong, healthy athletes with generations of eating this kind of cuisine. Animal/Whey derived protein is the building block for muscle growth. Even vegetable protein from soy and lentils cannot be a substitute.

To attempt to get around this problem, I think the National Football Academy is a great idea and that kids should be taken in under the age of 12 and given a proper diet and training regimen thru their teen years to at least make sure everythiing is done so that they grow at a better rate than the average kid raised in an Indian houshold.
Last edited by nnipp1 on Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Nice interview of U-16 Assistant Coach Narayana Menon ...

Interview: India U-16 Assistant Coach Narayana Menon
So, India has qualified for the AFC finals next year. Honestly, are you surprised like most of us?

It wasn’t a surprise for us as it was to most. Those who were closely associated with the team for the last few months knew that the team is destined for something great. You know we are undefeated since February this year.

And the credit goes to…..

Mainly to our chief coach Mr. Colm Joseph Toal.

...And partly to you.

Wholly and solely to Mr.Toal (laughs). He has been a tremendous influence on the boys.He has transformed the boys completely. He has instilled a belief in them that they can compete with any of the teams in the world irrespective of their rankings and previous records.
Good to see someone from India is giving deserving credit to 'Foreign' coach ... ;)
suresh

Post by suresh »

Yet another quote from the interview Narayana Menon:
Who were the key players for the Indian team during the qualification rounds?

It will be totally unfair to take names as everyone performed to their best. It was completely a team effort. In fact, our goals were coming from all positions. We weren’t depending just on the strikers to score. Half our goals were scored in set-pieces. The whole team was effective.
I like the bit that we scored 50% of our goals from set-pieces -- this shows that the team is really well trained -- it would be great if these kids could do the same when they play for the senior team.

Suresh
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

Haven't heard of this Menon before but he seems like a good guy, very humble.  Hopefully with people like this and Colin Toal our younger players can become the next generation.  I've always said India is a good 5-6 years away before we start getting the kind of talent pool to even begin to compete with the elite in Asia.  Our current players on the national team for the most part lack the strength, size, athleticism, and skill to compete on the elite asian level.  It will be to the U-16 and U-19 to begin to enter the national ranks and make a difference in these areas.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Indian u-19 boys scored their first victory in ongoing championship beating Pakistan.

At AFC Under-19 football championship, Tehran, Iran

India bt Pakistan 5-0

Goal Scored - Sushil Kishku 5' & 82', Sathyan Sabeeth 15', K Thoi Singh 19' and Malsawamdawgliana 88'
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

At AFC Under-19 football championship, Tehran, Iran

India dw Oman 1-1

Goal Scored - Hussain Al Hadri (OMA) 39' and Subodh Kumar (IND) 57'

Indian u-19 boys keep impressing with their performance, today they showed creditable performance holding Oman to 1-1 draw ... Now on Saturday they r having tough match with host Iran.
murlikt

Post by murlikt »

Great performance from the boys, I think looking at the points they will not qualify, but of course they have done India proud. Looking at the teams they are playing, they are improving thats the main thing. And with the I-League introducing a u-19 competition, they will be playing regularly i hope.
Anything above a loss to Iran will be a huge a achievment.

One nice story on a footballer from a simple family finsing success:
http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news ... ai/240098/