Indian Junior football

General Discussion on Indian Football.

Moderator: Moderators

nnipp1

Re: India youth football

Post by nnipp1 »

Nevermind then, hopefully he grows 5 inches in the next 2-3 years...Every FOB Indian I meet in America seems to be around 6 ft. tall, i wonder why we don't have any staying in India (to play football hopefully)...
murlikt

Post by murlikt »

Nice work guys, finding this information..

The young man will grow taller and stronger if he is taken care of, but the reason he probably never got noticed so far is because he only plays for school teams and trains at home and on the street. Now imagine he was in a tata academy?

Jayakris I hope they do start looking seriously in Kerala for talent, and I think the next Vision Asia project will be in Kerala also so stay tuned. As you have all said this player is tall, skillful, and just shows these players are from all areas not just some states. It is a great opportunity for E. Thomas
il_fenomeno
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by il_fenomeno »

amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

impressive...and it is heartening to see innovative coverage by rediff.com they have really improved their coverage of non cricket sports in the last year and a half.
Amit Sadhu

Post by Amit Sadhu »

Hey guys,

I heard that Arvind Narayan, the PIO with the U20 team, is in Japan right now talking to J-league Teams!

Good news for Indian football.
nnipp1

Post by nnipp1 »

Anyone know who the probables are for the U-18 squad preparing for the Asian Youth Championship qualifiers in a month?
murlikt

Post by murlikt »

Amit any news on Narayan?

Nnip1 no news yet, I am sure Arunava will post it soon. I am assuming Colin Toal is trailing these boys hopefully.

Here are some news on the Mumbai junior football scene...Nike sponsors the school league and many of the players are also playing for professional clubs in the city. And these boys want football as a career:

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/net/mmpaper ... 75dff9a990
nnipp1

Post by nnipp1 »

The Indian U-15 team preparing for Asia U16 Championship qualifiers in Germany beat the U-15 squad of Bundesliga powerhouse VFB Stuttgart 2-0. Some information and pics are on indianfootball.com
Last edited by nnipp1 on Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
murlikt

Post by murlikt »

Great news, India under-15 team finishing 3 wins out of three, including beating superclubs from Germany VFB Stuttgart and 1860 Munich. This is really amazing considering lack of grassroots in india but the main thing is to develop these boys into national team players.

How it would be great for the AIFF to start developing a national academy for these players, something like Tata has done. Or even better, that some of these boys get invited to train longer in Germany, like some Goa boys are doing in Portugal.

India u-18 team will be in Germany for a similar tour soon so that will be a real test, much harder also
murlikt

Post by murlikt »

Harshad Meher, India u-15 Goalkeeper, after his Germany trip:

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news ... an/221208/
murlikt

Post by murlikt »

Some good news for Indian youth football:

Colin Toal just returned from U-16, U-18 tours to Germany, has spotted some talented, tall players that can play for the national team:
http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news ... ns/225941/

Houghton is making it clear he wants height in the selection, and like we have discussed, outstanding shorter players will be groomed. This is the reality around the world and we are slowly getting there.

Some news on the AIFF's national academy plans, looks like there will be a head base in Delhi, with 4 zone academies around the country. Good start:
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1071008/a ... 408671.asp

Any news on young stars Branco Cardozo and Rakesh Masih from the India u-23 team? They were last with TFA and you wonder why these boys have not graduated to club football at this age. Unless they are going abroad they need to play at the top level in India which is the I'League.
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

nice articles, yes branco cardozo seemed to be a star in the making i wonder what happend, i will try to find out from a conatct who is an official with salgaocar football team, he may know as he is goan as well like cardozo.
murlikt

Post by murlikt »

Some big news for Mohun Bagan Academy, training in Brazil and participating in a big tournament in Denmark.

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news ... FC/227939/

The brazilian coach has a good record and congrats to MB for investing in the academy. During the Nehru Cup it was the skillful play by the Indians that got the crowd and won the games. The long ball game is not suited to our conditions and the AIFF and clubs have to start from the grassroots to change this sort of coaching. Jaydeep, your news on EPL coaches training young India coaches is a great step also.

And news on Branco Cardozo and Tata Academy, they played a friendly with Mohun Bagan in front of 15,000 fans at home (maybe not a bad choice for the I'Leage) and Branco scored:

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news ... ch/227940/

It is interesting the MB PIO player Sewram Gobind, he has scored a few goals, I havent seen him play, but considering other PIO's like Arata, Nath, surely he has udjusted the best so far?

The best thing is that in general there is happenings with the junior teams and maybe Colin Toal ( AIFF technical director) his work is now showing results..
nnipp2

Post by nnipp2 »

Once our run in the WC qualifier run ends (Which may be very soon), Houghton is going to have to re-build our senior squad starting with that AFC Challenge Cup and the SAFF Cup....We need to replace some of the seniors with youngsters. I think Surkumar Singh needs to go, he has been a liability and just doesn't seem like a very smart defender, Houghton was forced to replace him towards the end of the Lebanon tie and I suspect he blundered during at least one of Lebanon's goals. I would like to see a defense of Mahesh Gawli and Rakesh Masih in central defense with Gouramangi Singh and NS Manju at stopper backs. Masih and Singh are 6 feet and Gawli is 5'10" so it would at least give us okay size in the backline. Robin Singh from the current U-18 national team and TFA is 6'2", maybe he can be worked into the seniors soon. In midfield I think its obvious that Renedy Singh needs to go. NP Pradeep and Climax can stay in the back midfield for now and Stephen Dias can remain on the right, however, I think Branco Cardozo should be worked into the attacking midfield to see if he can be effective there. Bhutia can't play forever and he's not the goal poacher he used to be so someone like Sushil Kumar Singh needs to be tried out. Unfortunately, it doesn't really look like any dangerous attackers are on the horizon to be ready for the senior squad soon, mainly because Indian born strikers are not developed by club teams or given playing time at top levels.
Last edited by nnipp2 on Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

Bhutia can play till he's about 50, because there are really no lethal indian strikers.  One guy he does need to give a shot is Samson Singh, from Air India.  After Chetri he was the next highest Indian in goal scoring.  All the reject Africans occupy striking positions on our crappy indian teams.  The AIFF needs to get some guts and make a rule that says only 1 foreigner per team, period.  That will guarantee more indian players playing time and the ability to play striker.  I have no idea why they dont impose such a rule.

I do disagree about Surkumar, I dont think he should be dropped from the team, he is probably one of the most athletic guys on the indian team, a good combination of strength and speed.  However I think he is playing the wrong position, I would let him play sweeper or something to roam around and poach for goals as well as to play some defense.  The pure defense role bores him and he usually gets caught trying to attack too much.