Football: Indian National Team news ...

General Discussion on Indian Football.

Moderator: Moderators

arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Football: Indian National Team news ...

Post by arjun2761 »

My understanding is that Constantine is saying that we should send a team to the Asiad (i.e., U-23 with upto 3 older players). I recall reading elsewhere that the team otherwise does not meet the criteria which the government is setting for team sports entry (IIRC something like top 8 in Asia).
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Ah. Right. I read that too.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

No, Constantine was simply asking that we send a team, which we never do, as everybody works under the assumption that we totally suck in football. The coach was saying that we are not that bad at all, and that we have enough quality u23 players who are already in the national camp to go with 3 seniors to make up a worthy team to compete there.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Got it. How to choose the three seniors is an interesting question. Get the best U23 team. 1. Then, replace three U23 players with senior players in the same position such that the difference in production (or strength of the players) is highest among the senior player and the corresponding junior player. 2. This would work better on paper than simply choosing the three top national team players and putting them in the team. 3. A third method could be sort of a skeleton-method: get the top striker, the top mid-fielder and the top stopper and then fill out the rest of the team with U23 players. 4. If we want to think defense first, you can replace the striker with the goalkeeper in method 3.

Of course, #1 works under the assumption that the utility of the team is the sum of the utilities of its players. In a team game, team cohesion matters.

Anybody knows how these teams are selected (in the Olympics and Asian Games) and what is the most effective method?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Actually I hadn't seen that Arjun had already answered, as I read the last age and replied, Prasen. I was actually curious about what criterion the government had set. If top-8 in Asia is the government criterion, like Arjun said, that is a bit too stringent. Not sure if we necessarily follow that. In any case, our u23 team cold very well be pretty near there in Asia, even if the senior team is closer to the 11-14 range in quality.

That is a guess from me, mostly because I see quite a few of the players in the 17-22 age range being talked about, and getting quite a bit of exposure, as various MLS and I-League teams have been building their "farm system" a bit more aggressively in the recent 2-3 years. So many may have got a bit more exposure than their counterparts in other countries. Possibly. Just my hunch. I doubt if too many other countries in Asia have eleven u23 players actively in the national camp with the seniors, like Constantine now now has.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

For the record, NZL beat Taiwan, 1-0 yesterday in their second match. They had lost to Kenya 2-1 earlier. So, as of now, India has two wins with an 8-0 score, NZL is 1-1 with a 2-2 score, Kenya is 1-1 with a 2-4 score, and Taiwan is 0-2 with a 0-6 score. Today is a rest day and our next match is tomorrow against New Zealand tomorrow, and Kenya-Taiwan follows on Friday.

By the way, tomorrow's match is a sell-out already - thanks to the Chhetri video clip appeal's magic. Not just that; the final on Sunday is also already a sell-out, as India is assured to be in the final.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Tomorrow's match is the 50th international match for 27 year old Jeje too. Whoa, I didn't realize he had played that many. With 15 goals in his last 29 matches, he has 23 goals for India, and that may be in the Indian all-time top-5 already. Congratulations Jeje! These two "bash brothers" being in form and scoring has been a reason for India's good run in the last 2 years.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Great to see the excitement Sunil Chhetri has generated with his Tweet and video. I saw the appeal, but of course was too far away from Mumbai. Delighted that he got the response he did, and I hope India wins handsomely against NZ today to cap it off!

It does makes abundant sense to send a team to the Asiad. Indian football is finally on the mend, and it's time to demonstrate and capitalize on that, especially after last year's under-17 World Cup.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

0-0 at the half time against New Zealand.

We have rested a lot of players, as we are in the Sunday final already. It clearly shows. Sandesh, Anas, Gurpreet, Jeje, Narzary, Halder, Udanta, all rested. Udanta was sent in later for Rafique who might have got a concussion. The defense is very porous when our wall of Sandesh-Anas isn't at the back. Goalie Amrinder has done very well in place of Gurpreet though.

Chhetri is there, and almost made an excellent goal just before the half but it went an inch over the bar. He was also brought down once earlier by their goalie, which should have been called for a PK but wasn't. Balwant Singh is up front with Chhetri. But generally NZL has been a little bit more in control of the game than India. Good to see the back-up line up holding up so far though.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Second half. Jeje comes in for Balwant and Halder for Rowlin.

And Chhetri scores just like that!!! 1-0!! Back pass to their goalie underestimated Chhetri's speed. The Goalie had to come out to kick, and the kick only went to Sunil who was 5 feet in front. A reflex foot on the ball by Chhettri and it's a goal.

And a counter soon by NZL to equalize it one minute later. Excellent touch pass assist from Sarpreet Singh (NZL) to DeJeong that went through and Amrinder couldn't do much. DeJong was almost offside, but probably not. 1-1.

1-1 in the 75th min. I think Constantine wants to preserve at least a draw; he just sent in Sandesh for the back end, taking out Narayan Das.

Narzary has been horrible today. At least 3 crossing mistakes and a ridiculous miss on a fantastic cross in the midfield from Udanta.

This kid Sarpreet Singh of NZL is seriously good. He is getting his way through our D. Misses an angled shot from the right.

And they go in and score. Sarpreet again, and he feeds Dyer to score. Preetam Kotal should have done better. Damn, I miss Anas. 1-2 in the 85th min.

And that is a final. 1-2. This was a winnable game, had we had our regular team in. NZL dominated for many stretches of the game though. The dropoff in quality is clearly visible when we do not have our best 12-13 players on the field and combining well together.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Bold decision by Constantine to check bench strength, as he made seven changes from our last match.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

jaydeep wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:48 pmBold decision by Constantine to check bench strength, as he made seven changes from our last match.
And he learned a lesson that the bench is not so strong. Actually they didn't seem to be terrible. They were just not combining smoothly like our regular players. But this is what we need to do, to get some of these players ready. We do need our best 11 all healthy, to justify our top-100 ranking. I think we really are a top-100 team if our best eleven is playing. Lose even one among Chhettri, Sandesh, Gurpreet, Jeje, Anas, or Udanta, and we are only a top-125 team at best right now. Or so it seems to me.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Kenya beat Taiwan 4-0 today to make the final on goal average over New Zealand. So we play them on Sunday in the final. I would have preferred playing NZL, for a chance to avenge the loss yesterday to them. And these Kenyans will be after blood because of their 0-3 loss to us earlier....
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Yes, would be interesting final.

Sunil posted a video on instagram of Mumbai supporters ... Terrific support (listen it with keeping volume high).

It Was An Unbelievable Atmosphere Last Night In Mumbai 💙#BleedBlue💙
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Meanwhile, it seems IOA and the Government have decided to send our team to the Asiad, but Constantine hasn't heard official word yet - AIFF yet to receive official confirmation for Asian Games.. (FirstPost)

It will be great to see our guy play there.