Football: Indian National Team news ...

General Discussion on Indian Football.

Moderator: Moderators

arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Football: Indian National Team news ...

Post by arjun2761 »

I don't think this result is all that much of a surprise. At best we would have won by 1 goal or so. We will have a similar dogfight with Afghanistan as well. Ultimately, we don't have quality players except perhaps a quality goalie (although he seems to have made a mistake here).

Our results have definitely improved and I suspect ISL which is a more professional league (with several foreign players in each team) has made our players more professional (i.e., they are likely fitter, play with more structure etc.). However, the better quality in our junior players need to be cultivated with the best playing in Europe or better leagues before we will have a team that is competitive at even the top Asian level.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Holi had returned from injury to camp with Stimac. I had read that article before. He got married last week. Holy marriage Don't know why he cannot play this week though.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

prasen9 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:31 pmHoli had returned from injury to camp with Stimac. I had read that article before. He got married last week. Holy marriage Don't know why he cannot play this week though.
You're right. I read that he was available. He was in the national camp but Stimac didn't pick him in the final 23. He actually said that Holi was one of the guys who narrowly missed the final cut and could've been there but for a few guys doing very well in camp. Like I thought. The mid-field is stacked with some young talent now. I don't think any of them are super-talents, but all of them are pretty good. Not sure if Narzary would have made a big difference, but I didn't see the match to say...
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Adil Khan was easily India's best in the match. He made an amazing goal line save or India would have lost the match. He scored the goal also. Udanta was the other player who played well. Otherwise the defence looked shaky even though Anas was back. The midfield was playing in a direction less way. Chettri tried but was not getting good balls from the midfield. Yes Nazary and Jeje were definitely missed. Sandhu had an off day as well. And looks like Jhingan is indispensable in defence. Fielding too many inexperienced players was not such a good idea after all.
For Bangladesh their forwards and defence played really well as did their goalkeeper. With the match being in Calcutta it was more a home match for Bangladesh than for India.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

rajitghosh wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:46 am With the match being in Calcutta it was more a home match for Bangladesh than for India.
Maybe with respect to the food, hospitality, language in the stands, atmosphere etc. but I think the crowd should have been firmly behind India.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

There are a lot of Bangladeshis that are in Bengal now and would not be surprised if their loyalties are still with Bangladesh (kinda like the Mexicans in the US).
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Absolutely untrue. Kolkata supports Indian teams vociferously. When our goalie made a silly mistake, the stadium went totally silent . See here:Report Illegal immigrants are usually very poor and usually do not attend football games. The Hindus who have been tormented do not support Bangladesh after they come to India anyway. The Mexican comparison is not fully apt. Except for the odd Jihadis, most people who come over and make India home support India. At least to the extent I have seen.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

A lot of Bangladeshis who had legally come to watch the match were there with their T-shirts and flags
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Sure. Maybe it was easier for them to come because it was in Kolkata than to go to say Mumbai. But, to the extent I have read --- I did not watch the game --- they were not that many in number.

Here is another article: Packed stadium
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

After screwing things up against Bangladesh and picking up only 1 point with a draw instead of 3, we are now 4th in our group behind Afghanistan (3 points) with 2 points from two draws, and we have to go away to play Afghanistan next week (Nov 14th). It seems the match is on artificial turf at Dushanbe in Tajikistan. Then we have to play Oman at Muscat on the 19th.

Artificial turf, snow and injuries: Problems mount for India (Times of India)

The 22 member squad was announced today. Young fellow Dheeraj Singh (goalie from the u17 world cup) is now in the team, but of course Gurpreet will be out goalie. Still don't have a good forward to back up Sunil. Jeje has been gone for a long time. Missing Sandesh at central defense will be a big blow, though Anas is now back. Oh well. Let us hope for the best. We just have to beat Afghanistan, to have any hope of making it out of our pool.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Our U-19 mens team is playing poorly at the AFC U-19 championships with 0-2 loss to Uzbekistan and a 0-4 loss to Saudi Arabia. They are comfortably at the bottom of their qualification pool.

So, not much to look forward to from this pool of players in the near future.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Change is hard :-(
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

2022 World Cup qualifier against Afghanistan is on.

We are down 0-1 at the 67th minute against AFG in Dushanbe. Argh...

Still 0-1 in the 87th minute.

Whoa, we score in the 93nd minute off a corner!! Header by Seiminlen Doungel 1-1 !!!

1-1 .... And that is a final. Phew. A draw in an away game is always an okay result. I fully expected us to lose today to Afghanistan in the cold weather in Dushanbe.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

To finish second in our pool may be almost impossible, but this result was good, in the sense that we prevented Afghanistan from getting 3 points and becoming the prohibitive favorites for the 3rd spot behind Qatar and Oman. We have 3 draws and a loss from 4 matches so far (lost to Oman, and drew QAT, AFG and BAN). If we pull off wins against AFG and BAN in the second matches against them (AFG in India and BAN in Bangladesh), we will have 9 points and should have a very good chance to pick up one of the 4 third place spots into the Asian final-16. But we cannot lose to Bangladesh or Afghanistan in reverse matches.

EDIT: The above is not correct. Only 12 teams from 8 pools advance to the 3rd (final) round of Asian qualifying. If Qatar is one of them (probably will be), then 13 will advance. Need to be among the best 5 second place teams. So it looks like a team would need around 12+ points from 8 matches to make it. India will need to at least draw Oman or Qatar in the reverse matchs against them, then beat Bangladesh and Afghanistan to make it in with 12 points.

India play Oman on their turf next Tuesday. Remember we led them 1-0 going into the 87th minute in Guwahati before the scored 2 in the last minutes. Pull off an upset in Oman, and we will be riding high. Anyway, we are still alive for qualification into the Asian final 13
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

A fighting draw but a tougher path to qualify.