Football: Indian National Team news ...

General Discussion on Indian Football.

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Football: Indian National Team news ...

Post by jayakris »

India vs Myanmar (5th match in the pool for AFC Asian Cup 2019 qualification) is on. We've already qualified with wins in our first 4 matches, so this match is for FIFA points.

Mynmar scored in the 17th second!... But Chhettri scored a PK after he was brought down inside the goal for a 1-1 at the 16th min mark.

Yikes. A mistake from goalie Gurpreet who timed his jum wrong and let a harmless shot go in, as per the goal.com updates. 1-2 in the 19th minute. Can we focus on the match and play, please?

I can't find a live stream of this match. Anybody watching?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I just found a stream - http://live.livewidget.net/streamvideo1 ... 10680.html (somebody from Myanmar streaming from her PC or something for betting sites, but this looks safe. As always, Indians never do these things like they do everywhere else)

1-2 at half time. I will watch the second half and see how we look.

65th minute. Still 1-2 behind. Making a lot of moves but not scoring.

There isn't even 5000 people in the stands. All the talk of football support in Goa. Where are the people? I hate these stupid stadiums where we play. If it is a cricket stadium or if there is a track around the field, it sucks. Play in some small place like Ambedker in Delhi or the new place in Mumbai, please! We still have only a couple of real football stadiums. That sucks.

GOAL! Jeje with a superb quick trap and tap just to the left of the goalie at an acute angle off a long ball into the goal by Lyngdoh who gets the assist. Beautiful. 2-2 all tied. 70th min.

75th min - excellent diving punch save by Gurpreet. MYA trying their best to attack; they need a win badly to stay alive against Kyrgiz Rep in the pool.

Official attendance is 5546. How pathetic is that?? I hate you, Goa people!
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

The referee disallowed a goal scored by Sunil and the match ended in a draw ... We are now unbeaten for 13 games with 11 wins.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

That was weird. We got the spot kick right in front, after their defender seemingly handled the ball. Apparently it had to be taken as a direct kick (says goal.com). Maybe Jeje touched it. Crap. It was a superbly placed ball with so many people covering the goal. Only Chhettri could find a way to chip it over just inside the right top corner. I was going WOW, and the ref disallowed it.

Anyway, no huge damage but not winning it doesn't help the FIFA ranking. A win would've been nice. But this loss is on Gurpreet for letting a very soft goal in by mistiming his dive after being a bit out of position too.

With 4 wins and a tie in the pool, we are assured of topping the pool though.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

jayakris wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:30 pm Apparently it had to be taken as a direct kick (says goal.com). Maybe Jeje touched it.
No such rule. You can't score indirect kicks as direct, but the converse isn't true. Maybe someone was offside on the touch?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

That's what I was thinking too. I thought it had to be indirect but probably Jeje did not touch it before Chhetri kicked it. My stream was buffering and I couldn't see it clearly. Goal.com's commentator wrote it weirdly, that's all. I think our guys argued though. But then again, the MYA team also looked surprised as the goal went in.

EDIT: Goal.com's story on the match now says that Jeje did touch the ball but that it did not move and that's why the ref disallowed it. That is sad. It was a great goal from Chhetri, really. By the way, one can never stop being impressed by how ultra-talented Sunil Chhetri is.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Really tough luck as that was a superb goal by Sunil.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

jaydeep wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:08 amReally tough luck as that was a superb goal by Sunil.
But in retrospect, it was also a rather fair ruling by the ref. Now I have found out what exactly happened. It was a back-pass by a Myanmar guy to their goalie, and he handled the ball. That gave us an indirect kick inside the box, which was a good chance for us, though their team could crowd the goal. By rule, the ball needs to move by at least its radius on first touch - which basically means a noticeable movement. Jeje touched it but it didn't move much when Chhetri kicked it. That must have fooled the Myanmar defenders a tad bit, so the ref made the call. It all looked weird and even the Indian players initially looked a little puzzled. But anyway, a mistake by us. It was a great chance to score a goal and come out a winner. Jeje must still be cursing himself.

Can somebody find a video clip of that goal? It looked great, how Chhetri managed to put it in at an impossible corner, over the heads of the people, like only he can!
Ayush1234567

Post by Ayush1234567 »

jayakris wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:24 am
jaydeep wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:08 amReally tough luck as that was a superb goal by Sunil.
But in retrospect, it was also a rather fair ruling by the ref. Now I have found out what exactly happened. It was a back-pass by a Myanmar guy to their goalie, and he handled the ball. That gave us an indirect kick inside the box, which was a good chance for us, though their team could crowd the goal. By rule, the ball needs to move by at least its radius on first touch - which basically means a noticeable movement. Jeje touched it but it didn't move much when Chhetri kicked it. That must have fooled the Myanmar defenders a tad bit, so the ref made the call. It all looked weird and even the Indian players initially looked a little puzzled. But anyway, a mistake by us. It was a great chance to score a goal and come out a winner. Jeje must still be cursing himself.

Can somebody find a video clip of that goal? It looked great, how Chhetri managed to put it in at an impossible corner, over the heads of the people, like only he can!
I found this highlight of the match that has this goal.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0JeVIcUTieg
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

jayakris wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:24 amCan somebody find a video clip of that goal? It looked great, how Chhetri managed to put it in at an impossible corner, over the heads of the people, like only he can!
Agree Jay, that was Jeje's mistake.

You can find the same disallowed goal after 3 mins.

HIGHLGIHTS: India vs Myanmar 2-2 AFC Asian Cup UAE 2019, 14/11/2017
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Thanks Ayush and Jaydeep. I wish they had that camera angle from behind Chhetri that they showed as live replay. It looked like an impossible goal that went in through very small window... Yes, we can clearly see that Jeje messed up and the ball hardly moved. The Myanmar players seemed to immediately object too.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

jayakris wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:24 amNow I have found out what exactly happened. It was a back-pass by a Myanmar guy to their goalie, and he handled the ball.

That's exactly what I suspected. This doesn't come up often, but unfortunately the "ball should visibly move" is not uniformly enforced. Some referees follow the letter of the law, others allow a touch by another player of any kind to count.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

International players should know these things. Having said that, everyone messes up even if they know things. Myanmar actually played well, I think. At least the little I saw. Here's to onward forward.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I think Jeje knew that it was an indirect kick and he of course knows what had to be done. Players sometimes get away with just a very small touch when the ball moves only very little, and he was really too cute with the touch. Just a mistake, basically. But then again, had the ball moved at all, Sunil might not have been able to put it in so perfectly through an impossible window. That's why I said it was a fair ruling.

Myanmar played well, but we didn't seem to be going all out and pushing hard to win possession and keep them out from our defensive end. But MYA were not pressing us like they needed to, and we were able to pass around and make moves rather easily. We should have won, and shouldn't have allowed as many shots at our goal by them, though many of them were not too troublesome. I particularly liked the perfectly placed long ball that worked for once (from Lyngdoh), as Jeje chested the ball so nicely on a dead run and finished very well for that second goal. That was a top-class goal. Jeje and Sunil together is one of the best tandems we have ever had. All in all, our team is playing steady football, and we could see why they have not lost in 13 matches. It is just not easy to do that even against teams in the 120-160 range.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

If he had touched it and pushed it back in the opposite direction of Chhetri's shot slightly, and Chhetri knew what he was doing, he would possibly have been able to take the same shot --- maybe with slightly more dip. The Myanmarese would have been able to move a bit earlier too. And maybe it would have not been a goal. But, anyway it could have been doable, but maybe that sort of perfect execution is hard to expect on demand.