Football: Indian National Team news ...

General Discussion on Indian Football.

Moderator: Moderators

srini

Re: Football: Indian National Team news ...

Post by srini » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:00 am

prasen9 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:02 pm
Weighting it by the sports' popularity is not unbiased. It is biased wrt popularity.

If the objective is winning medals, then going by the rule that exists is fine.
Completely agree but what are our chances of winning a medal in ambo, pencak silat, kurash or sepak takraw? If we stood at 7th or 8th position in these sports in the last edition, its likely we stand at similar position in these games with the host nation bagging medals in most of those unheard sports. I am gonna specifically watch out for our medal count in these sports when games conclude on September 2nd.

I think the real reason this rule allowing upto 8th place was kept is to give our Big WORMS sitting at helm of our sports affairs some space for their manoeuvres in playing their dirty little politics.How else do they keep their chair at helm if the rule were to allow only up to 5th position which stand any realistic chance of medal ?

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:43 pm

srini, agree fully. I am fine with having a better criteria for medal-worthiness if you really care about that. For example, if there were only eight teams and we came eighth by a long margin, that team should not be sent using this rule. The number of countries participating should be taken into account and that will be an objective way to help popular sports. Because 8/8 and 8/32 is not the same. And, like I said, I agree with your basic premise that the football team should be sent.

kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:29 pm

suresh wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:55 pm
Welcome back kujo.
thank you Suresh!! what did I miss ? :-)

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:20 am

kujo wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:29 pm
suresh wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:55 pm
Welcome back kujo.
thank you Suresh!! what did I miss ? :-)
We missed your analytical mind. :D

suresh

Post by suresh » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:43 am

Absolutely right, Jaydeep. That is what I was thinking about when I welcomed Kujo back.

kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:47 pm

thanks Suresh and Jaydeep!! you both are too kind.

Good to be back... :-)

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:04 am

kujo wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:50 pm
We also have a different document from FIFA website that reduce the "I" "Importance of matches" value by a factor of 10! Not sure which one is the latest??... https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload ... 3v3vy0aqo1
And then FIFA has this problem to address: https://twitter.com/We_Global/status/10 ... 7403971584
and also from an article: http://www.weglobalfootball.com/2018/06 ... -rankings/ --
Because there is no multiplier like in the real ELO Rankings, the amount of points teams can earn in a match are mitigated. Because points are mitigated, it makes it that much harder for teams to move up and down the standings. Teams are going to be picking up 5-10 points frequently in matches. There’s a 750 point gap between #1 and #28. Slovakia would have to beat Germany 20 times in a row just to pass them in the rankings. And that’s just if it’s a World Cup Qualifier. If it’s in friendlies, Slovakia would have to beat Germany 50 times to pass them.
Well, I have had many of these questions in my mind for the last month and have been waiting for July 19th for the new rankings to come out. July 19th came and went, and there is no sign of any new rankings from FIFA like they have been promising at the FIFA ranking schedule page... Maybe they rushed the approval of this and is only now asking the questions that we were all asking already? It is crazy, if so.

I saw an article that said that Korea might move up all the way to 25th for beating #1 Germany and that Germany may fall to 7th for just that loss. Now, that had implications on some Korean guy being given work permit in UK to play in the EPL (which is based on the home country's rankings - an absolutely asinine-sounding rule by the piddly island country, by the way!). There are other players in similar situations. I mean, some serious stuff rides on the FIFA ranks, and we still don't know what the hell they are planning, a day after the date of the supposed revealing of the new rankings.

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:35 am

Still no news on the FIFA rankings.... Meanwhile, here is a report that they have delayed it to August. I think they finally see that the shift to the ELO type rankings aren't as easy as they thought.

I saw somewhere that the old rankings will actually show France to be #2 and the new rankings will show them as #4 (based on some assumptions on how FIFA will implement it). Stuff like that will get criticized, though I think it is shortsighted, and ELO is ultimately a better scheme. But some proper corrections are needed on ELO, and what we have seen so far do not seem to be the right fixes on ELO.

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:26 am

A big match coming up for India, expected to be in October! -- India to play friendly against China

Meanwhile, a Chak De style movie is also coming out this year! -- British actor Darren Tassell to play Indian football coach Stephen Constantine in a movie

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:34 am

The new rankings came out today. Phew, we didn't drop or anything. Actually we moved up a bit to #96, which I believe ties our all-time highest ranking. So, the starting point in the ELO-based rankings from now on, is a good one for us. We are probably over-ranked a bit too -- but we will take that. Trying hard not to drop is better than trying hard to climb up from a lower point.

If we had stuck to the previous system, we would have dropped 3-4 spots to around #104 or so, by my estimate a couple of months ago after the intercontinental cup. If we those matches went by ELO, I believe we would have probably dropped a bit too, as we didn't beat New Zealand. But we got lucky because FIFA seems to have gone with the June rankings to set the starting points on ELO (something like that), and the main changes are only with the world cup teams. I haven't been able to determine exactly what FIFA did, but either way, we ended up just fine!

kujo, are you around to take a look at what FIFA did and how they set up the starting points for the new ELO-based ranking system?