Indian Clubs news

General Discussion on Indian Football.

Moderator: Moderators

LIF2012
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indian Clubs news

Post by LIF2012 »

I doubt how many matches will be shown live. May be one or two per round, but not more than that. Even last year I-League was telecast by Ten Actions Plus - but they failed to show some important matches.
munnabhai

Post by munnabhai »

Well if they are paying for the TV rights, they would be stupid not to show. I wonder if these sports broadcasting channels have any bright individuals among their ranks. If I were them, I would buy the rights for a mediocre price for 10 years and just broadcast every game in Goa, Kerala, Bengal, and North East. And show the most important games all over India.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

As a Mohun Bagan fan, I report this with great sadness: EB in knock-out.. Okay :-) Actually, this one time I am happy at their success.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

More depressing news. Onto AFC Cup pre-quarters Joking aside, I hope they win a few more and that creates an interest in the sport again in India.
trojan

Post by trojan »

East Bengal def. Yangon United 5-1 in AFC Cup Pre.QF

QF will be played in September.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Good to see East Bengal do well at the Asian level even though it seems it's foreign players are the ones making the difference. If our domestic club league standards go up, I think ultimately that will help our Indian national team get better as there is no substitute to playing better quality competitive matches to improving.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Absolutely. Which is why we should abolish the number of foreigners playing but maybe control only the number of foreign strikers per team at one.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Yes, perhaps we should also require each top division club to have a development side (say with U-23 players) who are all nationals.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

That would be great. Alternatively, we can have a young team or two such as an academy team of juniors (e.g., TFA) that will play in the league against these tough teams day in and day out.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

It seems today was the 300th Boro match, the Calcutta derby fixture between East Bengal and Mohun Bagan. As a Bagan supporter, the result was not to my liking! East Bengal won 3-2.
trojan

Post by trojan »

East Bengal beat Indonesian club Semen Pedang 1-0 in AFC Cup QF at Kolkata. Away leg will be played on 24th September.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Bringing this thread back up with an in-depth article on where our club system stands as of now. Very interesting read.

The U-17 World Cup is over, but the issues plaguing Indian football are not (The Fan Garage, Oct 30)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

An article from the Asia Times on the situation of our two leagues - Is football starting to rival cricket in Indians’ affections?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Another good article on how things are, with the two leagues - I-League’s homecoming?

Way too much of crocodile tears for the I-league by a lot of people, in my view. Heck, money matters, and that is really all that matters in football the world over now. If you are a Kolkata club with history, use that damn history and the fan support that you have taken for granted all these years, get your sponsors, get professional, plonk down the money needed, and join ISL, I say. Football is no charity or government handout to people, and it doesn't run on history anywhere in the world.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

The Super Cup will be between FC Bengaluru of ISL and East Bengal of I-League.

East Bengal beat FC Goa pf ISL, 1-0 in the semi. FC Goa were without three of their starters, who were sent off for a half time brawl in their QF againt FC Jamshedpur (along with 3 guys of Jamshedpur too). So, that must have helped East Bengal. But it is good that an I-League team made the Super Cup.

FC Bengaluru beat Mohun Bagan (I-League), 4-1 today in the second semi. Miku scored a hat-trick and Sunil Chhettri scored one for FC Bengaluru. The interesting thing is that Mohun Bagan led 1-0 at half time, and FCB played the last 45 minutes one-man down, but they still poured in 4 goals on Mohun Bagan after the 60th minute, though two of them were at the fag end.