AIFF activities .. General Comments/ Rants ...

General Discussion on Indian Football.

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: AIFF activities .. General Comments/ Rants ...

Post by jayakris »

I am glad AIFF is trying something, but I am still absolutely confused/puzzled about how this can work.  Apparently, so are everybody in football, which is even more troubling.

‘AIFF concept won’t work’

Bhutia asks - “This is a unique idea which has not been implemented anywhere in the world,” Bhutia said. “I can understand if this is tried out in the under-19 age group. Beyond that, it won’t work. Every footballer needs to play at least one competitive match a week to improve his game. Can the federation ensure that,” asked the ace striker.

This was my first thought too.  Are we THAT smart to start something that is not done anywhere in the world? .. How is it possible for a National team like that to exist without playing.

Now, it would be perfectly fine to have a team from ages 17-21 or so, completely under contract with AIFF, but as a team in the Pro League.  But then, strange rules would be needed to grant them exception from relegation, and perhaps an exception is needed in the team-roster limit too.  I suppose that team would try to play hard in the Pro league as a spolier team, the players' primary motive in working/playing hard being a big contract with an Indian or foreign club after age 21.

Perhaps one can push this to age 23 too, and that way we will always have a pool trained and ready to play for Olympics, Asian Games etc.  But at least after that they will need to be in regular club football.

The FIFA-ranked national team (not u23) cannot be trained like this.  But I like all these  discussions.  Something may come out of it all - which can't be bad.

Jay
Last edited by jayakris on Thu May 24, 2007 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
indiashining

Post by indiashining »

I do agree what you wrote and I think Houghton's proposal is also targeting only a set of yongsers ( under 23). Its probably better because right now some of the talents are lost in the big clubs, as they dont get chance even to play at NFL. At least they will get a chance to be fit and trained under Houghton. Moreover Houghton has also proposed lot more international friendlies. This will make sure these players get exposure to international matches and match practise. However knowing AIFF we all are sceptical. Hope something good happen.
amr090
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by amr090 »

If you read the list of 42 marked footballers listed for national duty, noticeably absent are the top 2 indian goal scorers in the National Football League.... Sunil Chetri, and Samson Singh....which boggles my mind....
usaindian

Post by usaindian »

we need remove poltics from sports
murlikt

Post by murlikt »

Amr090 luckily Sunil Chhetri is in the list, he won the NFL best player + best striker award this year. Samson should have been given a chance, compared to Kuttimani and Biswas. I think they also thought of safety when picking this list for example if you go by the form of the NFL this year then there are only 3 JCT players and even some of these players are outside the NFL or are part players.

The good thing is that at least most of the u-23 team are contracted but some might say the same players are still being selected even though India has lost many games with these boys. What about Baichung Bhutia? I thought he had retired. Hopefully Yadav can get fitness so that he can use his height
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

Oh ok Chetri is there good....but Samson should have gotten a shot....it doesnt sense to me theyleave out the 2nd leading Indian scorer from a 42 man list! 
nnipp1

Post by nnipp1 »

How did Ashim Biswas make this list?? He's like 5'6" and when is the last time he's scored a goal?!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Bringing tis thread on AIFF back up ..

The latest ---

All India Football Federation's Headquarters Burgled By Thieves At Gunpoint

They steal TVs, brass fixtures, inverter batteries, etc ...

I think the burglers were upset at AIFF not setting up any international friendlies and decided to be unfriendly :)

Jay
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

jayakris wrote:I think the burglers were upset at AIFF not setting up any international friendlies and decided to be unfriendly :)
:rofl: :devil: :rofl:

Very true, Jay.
soccerphase

Post by soccerphase »

AIFF activies
AIFF is very slow in its activity because its run by politician of this india. for development of Indian Football AIFF should be run by any of our previous player
Thanks
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

FIFA.com interiew of Praful Patel, as he visited Blatter at the headquarters -
http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federatio ... ional+team

What I found interesting was his comment at the end that we will be building 5 or 6 stadiums over the next three years. As in, WHAT? How, where, whose funds? .. Nice to know, and it would be great if even one or two good stadiums are built..

Jay
il_fenomeno

Post by il_fenomeno »

AIFF plans to bring Barcelona, Chelsea and United
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spor ... 547811.cms

I think the AIFF should stopp dreaming. Without having any wordclass football stadium this sounds very unrealistic.
il_fenomeno

Post by il_fenomeno »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spor ... 547584.cms
Patel said AIFF was also looking to construct football stadiums in five places in the country.

" Karnataka government has given Rs 5 crore for the development of Bangalore football stadium. Then we are thinking of developing a stadium in Mumbai (now owned by PIL) and Ravindra Sarovar in Kolkata as we are negotiating the governments to give them for long leases.

"Then we are looking for having a stadium in Goa and Delhi. In Delhi, we have to take up the matter only after the Commonwealth Games. We want stadium which could be used wholly for football," he added.

The AIFF chief ruled out any Indian Premier League style football tournament in the country in near future, saying there was no infrastructure for holding such an event.

"Everything has to be seen in long-term perspective. Where is the infrastructure to hold such tournaments. If we fail in such hyped up tournaments that will cause more harm to the country," Patel said.
Hm, no stadium for football crazy kerala?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Rabindra Sarovar could be a good choice in Kolkata. The stadium is not a behemoth and is reasonably well connected with the rest of the city. I would have preferred stadiums in Punjab and Kerala instead of in Mumbai and Delhi.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

By the way, we didn't talk much about AIFF's plans with the u-19 team that will be in the I-League this year. They have done well with that whole idea (which was from Houghton, who also recommended the coach for it). Des Bulpin is a really good selection by AIFF to run this. Anybody who groomed Peter Crouch from age 11, certaily gets props. Here is an article -

The curious case of Des Bulpin and the All Indian XI

The Indian Dream: Meet The Man Who Shall Mould The Future Of Indian Youngsters - Desmond Bulpin

Jay