AIFF activities .. General Comments/ Rants ...

General Discussion on Indian Football.

Moderator: Moderators

murlikt

Re: AIFF activities .. General Comments/ Rants ...

Post by murlikt »

New initiative from FIFA to develop football in 2007:
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_ ... 070003.htm

Sounds good, heard it before, hopefully it is different this time. This time there is Nike, Zee TV, Bob Houghton, German FA help, plus in general more money to spend.
India1989
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by India1989 »

India is not improving at all in football. We need to find players from Manipur. Northeastern part is our greatest resource. We are not using it. Don't know how much talent we have lost so far. But we need to do talent search over there.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Let me put it this way.  The TFA (basically u-16 academy) had been threatening to qualify into the elite division of club football in India for the past few years.  This year they actually topped the second division of Indian football to qualify for the National League.  A bunch of 16 year old kids defeated "professional" clubs to make it to the NFL. 

They are not taking part though as the prospect of an U-16 team in the NFL wouldn't speak to highly of  the level of the NFL and also might do damage to the psyche of the 16 year olds (I guess).  The question is what happens to these obviously talented teenagers once they leave the TFL.  How is it that their game doesn't improve by leaps and bounds as should  be expected of any 15-16 year old footballer? The problem isn't really with there not being talented footballers in the U-16 age category but them taking those to the next level. 

Hopefully the new FIFA initiaitive will help with some of that.
murlikt

Post by murlikt »

Found an interesting interview with Priya Ranjan Dasmushi, including some football questions :
http://www.indianexpress.com/sunday/story/24798._.html

Just having passion for football is not enough, considering the huge challenge to make football competitive and popular in India the chief needs to work night and day, and 110%. He says that he introduced the NFL and Football house but this was done with money from FIFA and AFC. Dasmunshi should be an ambassador for football but can he run the game like those in Japan, Iran, Korea, even Brazil? He claims the AIFF elections are not in his hands but a even a fool will know he is a politician and will do anything for power.

I would like to say that football will one day be the no.1 sport in India and it deserves this and the standard for the AIFF is to be as powerful as the BCCI, otherwise they should not even exist to be 2nd best. So we have to ask ourselves if Mr. Dasmunshi is the man to make the AIFF as big as the BCCI? I dont think so, he loves football but there needs a change to make the game grow and move in the right direction
nnipp1

Post by nnipp1 »

That corrupt, senile piece of trash should give up his government positions and his AIFF chief position becuase he does none of them well. He is the equivalent of a football dictator and we can't get him out while our football just further deteriorates under his regime.
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

They seemed to ask that guy tough questions in that interview, but no one seemed to bother asking why Indian football has slid down the gutter during his reign, and that there is no sign of any hope anytime soon.  Who cares about his football house for the idiot staff to sit in when the team quality is so poor.
goan_star

Post by goan_star »

This Munshi guy sucks...
Saying he deserves a kick would be an understatement.....
murlikt

Post by murlikt »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/NEWS ... 738475.cms

http://dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1083802

The plan is that the money earned from cricket rights will be used to invest in other sports.
murlikt

Post by murlikt »

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1070309/a ... 493349.asp

Even better article, many people will agree with this
murlikt

Post by murlikt »

Sports fans in India are turning from cricket to football and other sports. Even in rural India things are changing:

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/india/04_20 ... 37608.html

Meanwhile the AIFF pro-league facing problems from Goa and Bengal:

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1070403/a ... 600166.asp
http://www.goal.com/en-india/articolo.a ... oid=271331

Dasmunshi offering not to contest next elections?? There are many people waiting to hear this. But seriously the NFL must be the priority league, we have to decide whether we want to be professional or amateur. The state associations do the grassroots work, but they will also benefit from their teams in the top league, by hosting top level games. That is how it is all over the world. I dont blame these states for getting angry, they do their best to make the game popular in India and now the AIFF will take away their main revenue, but also the Pro league will allow teams from all around India to develop plus play a longer season. If football in general gets much popular in India then supporters, sponsors, etc will come watch both state and NFL matches.

Also congrats to Arunava & team with the indianfootball.com awards. Getting much coverage in the media:
http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstor ... sid=229771

I only hope that the AIFF and Bob Houghton do not forget the ranking and organise freindly matches, even though there is good work going on with planning lately.
goan_star

Post by goan_star »

I think, it is not going to serve any purpose by diluting the local leagues, especially Goa and Bengal. Certainly GFA or IFA will not like to see their professional or super
Leagues reduced to the standard of  2 or 3 division.
It would have been a different story had the NFL been popular at the NFL level.
Barring a few centers, NFL is not evoking any response, leave aside proper media coverage and management.

I read that there are going to be 15 teams in next year’s professional league? From where the extra 5 teams are going to come? Is it from the second division league?  Are the teams aware of it? Everything seems arbitrary and haphazard, and staged by Munshi and his cronies without consulting the associations or proper planning.

It was a golden time to cash on the cricket disappointment wave, alas, the AIFF its strange ways and the lunatic Munshi! What happened to his 2010 dream? Is he trying to make it a reality or still a pipe dream?

In my opinion, NFL should be staged in two zones; east-north (I) and west-south (II); and a playoff between zone winners for the national title. Other national leagues should also be conducted in zonal ways for better organizational management and effective popularization.

State leagues cannot be neglected as the pool of talents will appear from these local leagues.

How nice it would have been if we had a very strong Kerala, Tamilnadu, Karnataka, Punjab, etc. leagues in various age groups.
Once a uniform standard is reached, everything could be nationalized and having only national leagues, till such time, strong state leagues is a must!

It needs imagination, enthusiasm, hard work, vision and proper direction from the top guys and associations for any sport to prosper. What can we expect from a sleeping AIFF??
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

The Telegraph got hold of some details on AIFF's expenses for the Seth Blatter visit to India starting now

AIFF spending a fortune to get Blatter ‘show’ on track

AIFF spending $100K on this big fifa visit.

I don't have as much of complaints on India spending money like all these newspapers have - as I don't think we are a poor-ass country.   Damn, waste some money if you must, but start DOING something - that is my view generally.

I didn't know, though, that FIFA gives AIFF $250K a year! -- That is a bunch of money.  They expect that FIFA would increase it, in which case, a $100K expense for bringing all those people to India may not be a bad idea.  After all, the first thing they would want to see would be that AIFF can at least organize a good visit for a 100 people, or they probably wouldn't be convinced of all this Pro League plans and everything.

This is big money business.  Football is big boys' game.   If we want to ever be with the bog boys, start thinking big.  Or we will remain small.

Jay

PS:  Damn, where did the Gandhian and the JaykrishnaTennisAnanda in me go?  :)

PPS:  Joined a few different threads into this thread.
Last edited by jayakris on Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

FIFA president Sepp Blatter is in India, for the first-ever visit by a FIFA president to India. The BBC reported that FIFA is exploring ways to promote the game and lift its standards in India. If this is indeed true, it would be worth following what precisely FIFA decides to do. The first day of his trip, though, was effectively hijacked by Dasmunshi and gang:

Warm welcome for Blatter

Today is the Bengali New Year (yesterday was Baisakhi for Punjabis, New Year for Tamils, Bihu for Assamese, and New Year for Thailand, Vietnam and much of South-east Asia), so it is fitting that Blatter will be watching the East Bengal-Mohun Bagan NFL match this evening. Sadly, he will quickly see the awful standards of Indian soccer...
Last edited by jayakris on Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Moved the post into this thread.  Trying to keep similar items together, as our comments invariably are about AIFF.

PKB - why do you say the first dy was "hijacked by Dasmunshi and gang"?

Jay
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Well, I wish Blatter was able to hear other voices than Dasmunshi's regarding what is wrong with Indian soccer and how to improve it...If Dasmunshi is his host, and shepherds him around the country, he is hardly likely to hear an unvarnished story.