Football: Indian National Team news ...

General Discussion on Indian Football.

Moderator: Moderators

arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Football: Indian National Team news ...

Post by arjun2761 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:46 pm

Good win by the Indian team beating a #132 ranked team in the FIFA rankings. We were ranked lower than this until pretty recently, so hopefully our upward ranking momentum continues...

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:01 am

We are playing teams ranked low but consistently beating so many of them is an indication that we have moved up in quality too. We're probably not at the FIFA rank of 100, and would possibly lose 2/3rd of the matches against 100-125 ranked teams, but we probably are around 125 in quality now (may e higher). In any event, we are at a ranking where we will get some interest from top teams to play us friendlies, which can only help interest in soccer, and our own team's quality. Need to continue to be smart in scheduling.

prajgolf
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by prajgolf » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:26 am

India has moved four places up to the 96th position in the FIFA World ranking released today.

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:24 pm

#96 is our best ever ranking from February 1996.

We cannot get carried away by rise in rankings: Constantine
"There is always the next game which comes to your mind. So, it's not always possible to enjoy the moment. That's how life is as you are always trying to get better. People may be tempted to go crazy with the recent rise in rankings and the results, but we cannot get carried away," Constantine said.

Constantine was in his room as the news broke, lonely but smiling nonetheless.
"I don't think it's got to do anything with magic. It's just a respect for my job and respect for my players, as much it's the respect for the people around me. These are the key ingredients to any national team moving forward.

"Football team is never about one single person. I take responsibility when the team is not doing well and share the praise when the team is doing well. That's how it is."